Neurology Community
bad lower back pain still 3 weeks after lumbar puncture

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

About 3 1/2 weeks ago i had a lumbar puncture procedure to screen for meningitis. The results came back negative. I am worried because my back pain hasn't gone away like the doctors told me it would. the area where the spinal tap was performes is still veyr tender and if I bend over at all my back hurts very bad, as well as when i get back up. Is this a normal side effect of the lumbar puncture.

- caitlin
i just had a spinal tap and my right side of my back where it was done all the way down my right leg ache so bad on pain med how long will this last?
caitie or sickofbeing sick, did you find out what was causing your pain? I too had a lumbar puncture after which I got back and leg pain, and they don't know what is wrong. Any insights regarding your own experiences is much appreciated. Hope you're both doing a lot better since this post!
Has your back and leg pain gone away yet? I'm having this too and my docors won't help. It's been over seven weeks since the test. Please help. Any information is appreciated.
my wife had a LP a couple of days ago and is unable to move as if she stands up she feels nausea and very unstable.  She is in a lot of pain in her back as well as having awful migraines (which is what they did the test for).

I am worried hat she will have this pain for weeks based upon some of the blogs i have read.

Anyone have any information on effective pain relief?

Tim
Hi everybody. I have had a few lumber punctures done and I was sore after all of them.The last one , they had to have 4 goes before they got it right  I was pretty sore for about a month. If you think about it from a practical point of view, 1) they have interfered with a part of your body that has never been touched before.
2) Its a big needle that they use!
3)There is going to be bruising and soreness for a week or two.
4) Rest! If it is sore then lie down, rest and let your body heal.
Dont mind what the drs tell you.When was the last time one of them had one? You know your body.
If you still feel something is wrong, listen to your body, go back to your dr, hospital etc and make them listen to your concerns.
Some times the very thing they are testing for can cause the pain.Ask questions.
The best of luck to you all and I hope you feel better soon. Cath278.
Im only 20 years old I had a spinal tap done just yesterday they had me lay flat on my back for 1hr then told me to go home follow up with neurology i scheduled  an appt n its a mth from now. Im in so much pain When i stand up my legs get weak n give out on me the pain in my lower back and left leg hurt so bad.Also this has done nothing but made my migraines even worse.They did a spinal tap because about one week ago today i started having these migraines out of no where n there just all of a sudden headaches.They thought i may have blood on my brain turns out it wasnt.But now im in even worse condition what am i suppose to do?
I had a lumbar puncture five and a half weeks ago, when I was diagnosed with viral meningitis, and I am still in a lot of pain when I bend forwards and sit down for a long time. The only thing that relieves it is lying down or putting some heat onto the area. Its very difficult to get heat to the right area, as the pain in right inside my spinal column, not in the surrounding area, but heat does provide some relief.
I too have told my doctor about the pain when I have been for follow up appointments, but he has just ignored it and continued to treat the meningitis.
If anyone can give me an answer as to why I still have the pain - I would be very grateful!!! I understand there would be bruising and soreness as they went right inside the spinal column, but I would've thought after five and a half weeks, the pain would have gone?
My son is 12 and had an LP 2 weeks ago and has a diagnosis of Pseudo Tumor Cerebri which is an increase of pressure in the spinal fluid and in the brain. He is still in tremendous pain from his LP. The day after he was given morphine for his pain and since we have only been able to slightly put a dent in his pain level on 2 Percocets. I can't even touch his back without him wincing. The Dr.s are not addressing this issue with me either. I don't like giving a kid so much narcotic for such a long period of time, and there seems to be no relief in sight.
Like you all said, I went to the ER for a migraine, and the attending thought I had meningitis.  CT came back negative. I  went back within 5 hrs of discharge bc my pain in my back was worse than the initial migraine, which then turned into the infamous "spinal headache" for  a good 10 days accompanied by blurred vision, tingling in my hands, and every time I stood up I thought I was going to puke.  All the while, my doctor never informed me that none of this would happen and I had to try to Google it when I got home. I could barely see sit or stand because it felt like I was cutting off my circulation and breathing.  It's been a month tomorrow and I still have horrible pain that radiates to my hips and across the lower and mid back, stops at the top of my back, and then reaches my neck and makes it hard to rotate.  After the second week, The migraine went away, but now it just comes and goes--its not consistent. It is hard to sleep through the night. I had to ditch the pain pills bc they made me more sick than the pain and now advil doesn't help since it feels like its in the nerve/tissue.  I don't have insurance so I am hoping it goes away soon! It gets better everyday but I would have never let the Dr. test me for it, had he discussed the results.  Now I am finding out there could be nerve damage and all sorts of things! If anyone hears any info. on what we can do to get better or when we will, please post! Take care!

-T
Oh, and epsom salt and heating pads give some relief!
I've had 37 lumbar punctures in my 36 years.  They are not fun.  Like Cath278 said, the needle is big & they have to pass through your nerves.  Expect to be bruised and sore.  A lumbar puncture is really the equivalent to a surgery.  You can't expect to recover overnight from surgery so don't expect to recover overnight from a lumbar puncture.
It's also reasonable to assume that it will take several weeks to recover given the amount of people who have replied reporting pain weeks after a lumbar puncture.
I know after each one of my lumbar punctures, for several weeks after not only am I sore but I also have bone pain as if someone is pushing down on my hip bones when I stand.

I had a lumbar puncture to test for bacterial meningitis and I am in so much pain across my lower back. Anytime I stand up I hurt and feel like I am going to throw up. If I sit for too long I hurt bad. Only really HOT baths and laying flat on my back give me relief. How long is this supposed to last for?
2 and a half weeks ago i also had a lumbar puncture that was done in the er. i went to the er because i had the worst headache for 3 straight days, and i rearly get headaches so i was a bit worried. the reason i was given the lp was to look for meningitis. since then i've had lower back pains were i can't stand or sit. i'm only comfortable on my back.  i'm worried because it doesn't seem to be getting better.  i need to get back to work and it won't happen if i don't find some kind of releif.  

Ms G
Hi msag.You are right. Something is not right. You should be feeling better day by day after a lp not worse. It is possible that they a) hit a nerve while doing the lp. Do you recall if they did? If so, time and some antiflam meds should help.If not, or the pain is getting worse, they could have released too much csf and you are experiecing a low pressure headache. These are the headaches from hell.
If it is just back pain you have, did you take it easy after the lp for at least 24 hours? Rest, is very important to healing. But at this stage, I would conntact your GP or the hospital, to make sure no real damage has been done.
How did the results turn out? Did you find out the reason for your headaches? I hope you feel better soon. Cath.278.
Wow I wish I read these before today. I had an lp done this morning so far no spinal headache, but I have the back pain, which starts about mid back to lower and into the hips. Now I'm kinda concerned it'll not go away or get worse.
Hi pttab, no, dont worry yet. The body does not like to be poked and pricked, and reacts by hurting, just to let you know, Oww, I didnt like that! There will be a bit of swelling at the site of the lp, this is normal.Some Ibbrofen should take care of this. Please rest for another 24 hrs,It is so worth the wait. Give your body a chance to heal.

I am so glad to hear you havnt had a low pressure headache.They are terrible! But keep up the drinking , any thing with caffine,cola, coffee, red bull and lots of water.
You should feel better ina day or two.Give your body a break and yourself and rest!
Best wishes, Cath278.
Hey guys I had a lumber puncture 2 weeks ago now, it has left me with incontinence,constant headache,numbness in the tops of both legs etc!! I went to my gp this afternoon and received nappies for my incontinence,and oramorph fr my pain, :(. I will keep you all posted asto how I'm getting on etc!! Hope your all better now! X
i had a lumbar punture 8weeks ago and am strugglimg with lower back pain! in the mornings it is at its worst until the pain killers kick in> the gp's i have saw are helplesss and just want you out quickly> i have been dismissed on a cuple of occasions.
The neuro specialist advised me the pain i was experencing was from the lubar puncture, at the sight where the needle has been placed> it is affecting my every day life and no doctors seem bothered that i can barely walk and am reliant on pain killers. After examination 4 weeks after the lp 20th Aug the neuro specialist  decided i should have another mri to find out what is causing this pain> i went in there almost symptom free and have came out slightly disabled!! I would NEVER have one again< it was such a diificult one felt like i lay on the bed for hours< my friend with me fainted it took soooo long and the nerve pain was horrible! i am 27 with a 8 year old son< he shouldnt see what he is!!!!!! The doctors dont care neither does my boyfriend< he thinks im lying about the pain!! What i am angry about is the fact that no problems were explained to me except that headaches were likely to occur nothing serious like what i am experiencing!!
I just had a lumbar puncture last Friday and was in the hospital for 4 days taking DHE to stop a migraine cycle. When I left the hospital 4 days ago I felt like I could barely walk without pain in my legs and lower back (tailbone). It still hasn't gone away and seems to be getting worse. My neurologist said it's most likely from the lumbar puncture, my muscles are spasming from lying down for 4 days in the hospital inactive (doesn't sound too responable to me though), or side effect of DHE.

Anyone else taken DHE and had this happen? I'm curious if my pain sounds similar to yours. The backs of my legs feel tight and achey (achy) and my tailbone area really hurts like a lot o pressure is on it. Everytime I stand up there is a rush of pain to my tailbone area. I can only lie down without pain. Is this the same kind of pain other people are getting too?
It seams u know about the complications of this thing... Well I had the spinal tap yesterday and it didnt hurt at all but at some point I think he hit a verve because my body  shake kind of but everything came ok.. but now im in serious pain in my lower back, my right leg its a litle bit numb  and some headache, I would like to know if I should wait and if its normal in some cases.. im really worried about it, im 19.
Hi gigi. Sorry to hear you are in pain,but wow, who did your lp? I want them for my next one as it did nt hurt! Amazing. Lucky you!

It is, as I have said already to an earlier post, normal to feel very sore after an lp. You really have to rest for a day or two, to let the site heal. Anything , with  Ibuprofen init, will heal the inflammation.

Can I ask why you had the lp? It could explain the headache.
But, the brain is surrounded with csf, (cerebrospinal fluid), it cushions the brain as well as circulates nutrients and stuff around the body, via the spinal column.
There should be a certain amount of fluid there, and when you have a lp, you lose some of that fluid, from the amount they take for testing and some that might leak out at the time of the lp.
So, this would upset the balance in your brain. But the body will replace it, usually in a few hours but after an lp, can take a bit longer. Hence the headache.

If, after 3-4 days, the pain is still there, and has not got any easier, than its time to call the dr. You could have a csf leak. It happens, just bad luck Im afraid.
But it can be fixed, in hospital with a blood patch. They take a small amount of your blood and literally " patch" the hole left by the lp. I have not had this done so am unsure about how it feels.. But it does fix the problem.

In the mean time, rest, drink lots of fluid and give yourself some time off. Hope this helps. Cath278.
Hi! I realy apreciate your answser , today I call my Dr because the pain was really strong and the headache was still there, they told me I could have some tylenol but it just dont seam to work.. so in a few minutes I will be going to see what se has to say about it...  At the moment it doesnt hurt ( the pain comes and goes) but the headache is intense.  l I did the  spinal tap because they wanted to confirm MS .  
to everyone in pain after an lp....there is hope!!! ive had about 7 done, and this one this past week went wrong and i had a csf leak(i could tell cause the headache got worse after procedure, accompanied by occasional nausea). i felt worse afterwards, bad headache, nausea, etc and have lived lying down for almost a week. but today...i am better!!!! it finally healed after taking folic acid(for immunities), plenty of fluids, caffeine, and rest rest rest flat on your back!!!!...no pillows, thats cheating. lol you dont need a bloodpatch or the pain from one...yes they hurt and yes they stick you again in your sore back like you really want that. lol but it usually does provide instant relief if you can stand them poking around in there again...not me. i laid here since the 2nd of nov. flat, and today is the 8th...and no more headache!!! hope this helps anyone out there....youre not alone.
Its very common for about 3 to 6 months that that pain is still there but after that point if you still have the back pain I would suggest going to the doctor and getting a M.I.R because something wrong has definitely happened. I also had to get a lumbar puncture for the same reason but unfortunately the doctors failed three times all in 2 hours on getting my spinal fluid and I now have permanent back pain and terrible headaches almost everyday. It has been 11 months since my 3 lumbar punctures and I am still having the back pain.    
I just got a lp yesterday and I'm in so much unexpected pain I feel even worse then I did when I came which I original came for the procedure bc my neurologist referred me to confirm me with a diagnosis of psuedotumor celebri. I'm now official worried of how much longer I will actually be in pain by reading everyones post! Hope everyone is feeling better than I am! Be blessed!
My name is Dennis,and I had a lp done just about a month ago,and I myself am suffering with lowerback pain from my right side into my hips as well.I ended up being admitted into the hospital for viral spinal menengitis,and viral pneumonia.They had to perform 3 back to back procedures,and on the 3rd they finally got some spinal fluid.I followed the aftercare to the letter,and don't feel a month later that this pain should be getting increasingly worse.I was very worried before having this done because years ago when I was a paratrooper in the U.S. Army(used to jump out of planes) I had fractured my L-3 vertabre while serving in the military,and have had lowerback trouble to begin with for years.I already am a disabled veteran.I am 35yrs old,and I feel like something they did disturbed my already messed up lowerback.After reading all these posts,and alot of you people are experiancing the same thing I am now waiting for my Dr. to call me back.Wish me luck.I will repost with results of how things worked out,and if I find anything at all out.
hi everyone i had a lumber puncture last year june after having severe migraines.after lp i got dischrged 4 hours later, i was in agony could not sit or stand!!!! it has now been 8 months,still having severe back pain,cramps in both both legs and pain.can sit and stand for short periods only. should i still be getting back pain after so long????
this lumber punchure sounds like a horrible experience. my wife is only 19 and passed out. and the doctor insisted we get this after that cat skan to show if there is a 2% chance there is ab lood in the brain. she is in the worst pain of her life and cries to me. its only 24 hours since the treatment. its hard for me to see her in this much pain. the ******* doc didnt tell us, about post injection pain. from reading here, this seems like a common back problems with people. what im worried about is thats it not permanent. these people are greed. there should be a law to sue..
I just received a lumbar puncture and I had RSD a pain nerve disorder in my left side and I came to the ER with seizures and a fever. I was there a week and I couldn't walk, had extreme pain and experienced migraines. They have my a lumbar blood patch to fix the migraines which it did but I still have terrible pain and can't walk. I can't feel my feet and the whole time the doctors kept trying to send me home everyday. I'm 24 years old by the way. They sent me to a nursing home/rehab place and they let me sit in my own stuff and were 13 hours late on all of my medications. My dad took me out of there less then 24 hours I was there and now they are taking care of me. My neurologist said I had post lumbar puncture syndrome and possibly neuropathy from it. Lawsuits are in the mind. I can't go home to my husband and small children because I need to go through months of therapy and specialists. Hospital doctors are not the best of people I agree. But to those who have problems with migraines after the lumbar puncture, 100% guarantee get the lumbar blood patch scheduled. It is a common symptom but the procedure will help you. The only problem is I got the blood patch 3 days after the lumbar  puncture so double the symptoms. God Bless all who are suffering the same as I am.
Hi Tim and anyone else....
I had a series of three lumbar punctures myself and that was two months ago, My doctor said that I would probably have pain  for at least 6 months to a year. As of lately my lower back pain is so painful that I am actually going to go back in and have it checked out because it seems to hurt worse than it did when I first got my first lumbar puncture. I looked up some of my symptoms and found that maybe I am experiencing spinal fluid leakage. From what you wrote it could be that your wife is experiencing the same thing. My advice is to look up CSF which stands for Cerebrospinal Fluid and  look at the symptoms and write down your wife's and compare. Take that in to your doctor and hopefully there is something he can do to help. Same goes to anyone that has had a spinal tap and is having moderate to severe headaches, nausea and pain in the lower back. I hope this helps.
i had a lumbar puncture about 2 weeks ago and am really worrier i am having really bad leg ache and back pain the headaches r still cuming but nt as ofter my ears r ringing and popping and when i go out side my vission isnt the best any ideas wat i can do
I had a lumbar puncture a while ago and continued to have terrible spinal headaches for about a week. I finally figured out that it never healed. My brother in law in Germany said that he had one done there and they instructed him to lay down for 24 hours with his legs slightly inverted. I did this and it solved the problem. Hope this helps.
hi all
i had a lp yesterday, it didn't hurt just felt a little uncomfortable, i had an injection of morphine and local anesthetic before the lp however this morning i woke up with the worst back, neck and leg pains and severe headaches i could not get out of bed because of the pain, is this normal? I am worried that something went wrong
My daughter had lumbar puncture to check for meningitis. Result was negative, but she had nausea., migraine-like pain, back pain etc. She has had a blood patch, but they didn't site a cunula first and couldn't get enough blood out of her arm in time so rushed it and hurt her - should be painless. It didn't seem to be a success but now 2 days later the migaine has gone, still lots of back pain from initial LP, and some numbness coming and going in toes from pressure on nerves in back of blood patch. V important, Blood patch must be done at least 24 hours later than onset of pain - hers was only 12 hours, and success is limited at this early intervention, but her pain was so great the did it anyway. Oh - and keep a detailed log as you may need a full hitstory later - she also had bad  spasms after LP. Currently she is in a little pain but laughing and chatting with friends - lying flat on her back though.
I was in the hospital for 9 days with a mystery illness. Two doctors attempted to perform a lumbar puncture FOUR times on my lower back and failed every time and I was in excruciating pain. Several hours later, an anesthesiologist performed the procedure and she was successful within 10 minutes. However, this was performed over a month ago and I am continuing to have painful pins and needles sensations in both feet (trust me they're not asleep, much different). Can anyone help me out with some ideas as to what happened? I'm seeing a doctor soon for this but am obviously still worried. Thank you in advance!! :)
WOW. I wasn't expecting to see all of these stories ALL matching up to mine. On August 10, 2010, I had TIA. Then I had a very awful headache. Hours after the mid morning TIA episode I ended up in the ER. I had a 99.9 fever and they wanted to admit me. I refused. I didn't think it would be necessary to be asked every hour what day it was and who is the president? I knew that, I knew something had gone wrong though... I went back the next day, immediately admitted. They kept me for DAYS. No insurance. People would walk in my room 2x a day to ask how I was going to pay for this. I was upset. When they said SPINAL TAP, I freaked! I did NOT want that, but due to my low grade fever, meningitis and encephalitis had to be ruled out! I really had no choice. So, after the uncomfortable spinal tap, I lay in my hospital bed and no one had asked if I should get up to see how I felt afterwards. So, I ASKED. They let me get up and walk the floor with my husband, my IV tower and my portable heart monitor. I get around in discomfort to find myself TREBLING about to pass OUT. I quickly entered my room, sat on the toilet seat for comfort (no chair) and my legs shook out of control. Spinal tap, NEG. After my heart monitor goes bonkers b/c my heart rate skyrocketed - the nurses were thinking crazy, all coming in to the rescue! The following day, I was released after being told they wanted to re-puncture. I REFUSED. a blood patch? NO WAY. That procedure sucked in the first placed, and I knew it would take at least two more MRIS I was uninsured for. So, as it is now August 19, 2011... I am in CHRONIC PAIN and I am scared to DEATH to go back to the hospital! I also experience terrible tingling/numb sensations, bad headaches and the newest thing is AWFUL (charlie horse) Muscle spasms anywhere from the arch of my foot to my hands! How long has this been bothering you? Is it any better?
Thanks, Beachwife
That's not normal at all. I'm 17 years old and I've had TWO lumbar punctures in the last week. After the first one I felt completely fine, and I am only sore a tiny bit after the second because he nicked a nerve. I am not nearly as sore as any of you are though. The main reason why you all have this problem is because your lumbar punctures were most likely not preformed by a seasoned physician. I had the neurologist of the hospital perform both of mine and they went well because he has done 1000s in the past (he told me he does more than 1 a day). Go back to your doctor or physician and have them treat you.
I had the LP last week on Tuesday night to see if I had meningitis and the results came back negative. By, Wednesday morning I was very sore and went about my daily routine by getting ready for work. After I had showered the pain had instantly set in. I could no longer stand up straight and had to hunch over or lay in a fetal position. I couldn't take the sharp pains going down my spine to my thighs, so I went to the ER. They gave me morphine, which didn't do a thing. Then I was given some other pain medications which had eventually worked. They had no answers for me, and sent me home with pain medication. By Thursday, the sharp pains had reached all the way down to my feet. I had the worst migrains and I couldn't eat or drink anything without vomitting. I went for a couple doctor visits for IV fluids and then was suggested to get a blood patch if the pain hadn't subsided. I returned to the ER on Saturday and finally had a doctor whose head wasn't up his *** and told me my spine was leaking spinal fluids due to the LP. Later that night, the anesthesiologist proceeded with the blood patch to clot my spine from further leakage. It hurt worse than the LP, but was the best decision to cure my pain and migraines. Sunday morning I was finally able to eat and drink again and had no migraine. It's been a week since this all occurred and now I am just very sensitive to sunlight, it hurts my eyes and therefore, gives me a headache. Also, my back is extremely sore. I can't bend over or lift anything. I'm extremely exhausted, but hopeful for a full recovery
I had a lumber punch over a year ago they messed up the procedure 3 times. I didn't have any headaches but they damaged nerves and caused my back to become weak which now causes 3 discs to have sliped. I suffer severe backpain and pins and needles down my left side and leg.  I have been refered to a specialst and have physo once a week (plus do about 10 exercises at home.  I have not had much improvement and on pain killers everyday. I have taken out a case for medical neglegence but the NHS are not admitting liability case is still ongoing.
I had a lumbar puncture a few weeks ago. I was not informed at the time that I needed to lie flat for an hour OR that I was going to continue to have pain. The doctor that performed the procedure also neglected to warn me about spinal headaches. I ended up being admitted to the hospital due to sudden severe headache, muscle pain, and muscular tension so significant I could not move. They said that the puncture site was leaking and after trying a multitude of remedies and pain medications they finally did a "back patch" (basically making a big scab over the site) and the headache was gone within 10 minutes. The back pain is still there radiating from my right hip all the way into my shoulder blades but I can move without nausea. For those of you still having the excruciating headache that may be an option you can inquire about. As for the back pain- if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.
Wow, I'm sorry to see so many have had LP issues. Me, too, and thought it was just me! Had a lumbar puncture after they were thinking meningitis or subarachnoid hemorrhage in ER; I came in w/bad headache, stiff neck and vertigo which both had been lasting days. Stiff neck: well, that was from trying to not move so the vertigo wouldn't continue, I told them. But they had to check to be on the safe side. Also did ct scan. All neg. Anyway, mannnn, that LP hurt! The attending took over because the newbie at this teaching hospital had never done it and wasn't successful. The "pro" took over & hit something and I've never had pain before like I did down my leg. YIKES! It's a week and a half later; I walk nearly everywhere and notice pain constantly in that leg, plus some weakness. I have no other way to get around than walk so it better heal soon! I hope to never have another LP as long as I live.
Hi, I am in a similar situation as you but minus the incontinence. I was told in A and E that if I become incontinent I need to go back asap as this is a medical emergency. Look up Caudine Equiene syndrome, which can be caused by trauma to the spine, such as inflamation (inflammation) caused during an LP ( i dont know if you experienced pain during your Lp, I certanly did experience severe pain!!). Anyway, I dont mean to scare you and I might be wrong but if I was to start experiencing incontinence then I would go to A and E straight away!!. I have back pain, pain in my spine, especially if i stand or walk. Lack of sensation in my pelvis, in my left hip and left leg. Burning and tingling in the saddle area and tingling pain burning down my legs and more .Good luck, I hope that you too recover soon!
I had mine followed by a spinal patch a month or so ago and I have serious pain on ly when stretching or during mild excercise. I feel like my spine is a frayed rope just one strand from coming disconnected. I see my neurologist on March 15 for a follow up to a sleep study and I am going to see what she thinks. I have to say I am still pretty nervous and am worried because spinal taps are the only way to treat my Psuedo Tumors.
I have just been diagnosed with pseudo tumor. Will you have to get another spinal tap done?
Hi nikki and Ivy willow. I just read both your posts and I think I may be able to help.
Ivy, there are many ways to help you besides lps. Having repeat lps is also very dangerous.
Nikki, if you have just been diagnosed with IIH, (That's its newer name) PTC,I may be help you to get your head around this.
I have had IIH for 4 years now, have a VP shunt and huge problems with my eyes.
Message me, if you think i can help you. Cath278
I had an LP a week ago today to screen for meningitis after a week of migraines. LP was performed under a local anaesthetic with no dramas - seemed to be fairly straightforward and quick. Followed by four hours flat on my back before discharged home.
Like most of the previous people posting comments, I have Now got bad lower back pain. I'm hoping that this will resolve fairly soon as I received NO warning from the Doctor about the risks associated with the procedure.

It bugs me that with such high potential for adverse side affects - that the Doctor just didn't warn me. I pray to god that I don't experience some of the unfortunate long term problems that have been written about here.
I hope all those with problems listed above find relief soon.
First, I'm SO sorry to each & everyone here for what they've experienced. Not just the pain from the LP's, not just for the pain after, but also the horrible treatment by doctors. You all, unfortunately, have made me feel VERY blessed to have the wonderful family doctor I have! First, I want to address that. If your doctor isn't LISTENING to you - GET A NEW ONE! You're paying for a doctor. You need one your can trust & have faith in!
Second, I had an LP done 2 weeks ago, on a Friday. Honestly, it was easy. But that night the post lumbar headache began. I should have gone to the ER the next day like they told me I should, but the neurologist on call told me not to (ya, he must have been a quack.) I went Sunday & they did the blood patch. It helped my headache about 90%. My family doctor told me Wednesday that I would most likely have mild headaches on & off for a few weeks. Now I'm having nerve pain going down into both legs. I can't bend over from the pain, am having mild to somewhat severe pain in my legs doing almost everything (standing, sitting, laying, walking.) I go back to my neurologist this coming Wednesday. But does anyone know about this nerve pain &/or has experienced it & has any suggestions, advice, etc? I'm not sure if they hit a nerve with the LP or not. I have, all my life, had some weird nerve issues in this same area that no one has ever been able to explain, but now its A LOT worse. Thanks!
I just got a LP in Tuesday to see why I was having bad headaches. Now it is worse than before and I even have stiffness in my neck and shoulders. If I would have known doing this would make it this much worse I would have just stuck with my little headaches compared to what I have now..
I had an LP on March 23rd and was diagnosed with idiopathic intracranial hypertension.  On the 26th I needed and epidural blood patch to stop the leaaking spinal fluid.  

I still have a headache but it is much better.  The pain in my back and legs is another story.  I do not feel the pain at the LP site but all alone my tailbone and hips.  I use a heating pad regularly and it help but this is ridiculous.  I see my neurologist on Friday so I will see what if anything he has to say about it.

I wa going to return to work tomorrow but I just don't feel well enough.
I feel slightly less on my own since reading all the comments that are so similar to my own experience I have recently come out of hospital with being rushed In with severe thunderclap headache stiff neck and photophobia and nausea a blood test was done for meningitis all clear thank goodness. I then slept on / off for two days and sent home. then 2 days later and still In a lot of pain I decided to see my gp who referred me straight back upto the consultant I was re admitted and then the tests began. I had a lumbar puncture tried and dr failed I ended up passing out from the pain and on a iv fluids overnight.
The following day u had another consultant round who said i had to go for a ct scan this came back clear so she suggested I had another lumbar puncture done which I agreed to after over an hour and around 8or9 very painful attempts later she still couldn't get any csf so I was then later that day sent upto theatre for an anethatist to try finally after an hour and a half and yet another 2 attepmts in theatre later he managed to get the precious csf. After 2 days of waiting I got the results two of the test were fine but one came back borderline, i then had a. CT angiogram done the next day and was sent home without any explanations only that it was a severe headache / migriene and go and see my gp if the headaches persists which they did. Now a week later I am in a lot of pain with my back and keep getting sharp pains in my lower legs to go along with my still banging headaches at the back of my head and near my ear and stiff neck . I have been informed today by my gp that my ct angiogram wasn't completely clear and has been sent for further analysis by a team of consultants at a big  hosp. I am really fed up confused exhausted and in pain and just want this nightmare to end now  I have had enough. hopefully I will get some answers soon and I can get on with my life without experiencing any pain I have never felt or beenso ill in all my life
Hi everyone. I recently had 2 Lumbar Punctures performed within 8 hours of each other. Unfortunately both were unsuccessful.
The second was by far the worse and left me with severe swelling, bruising and back pain. I was in hospital for 5 days, it was pretty awful.
The good news is though that the chances of things going horribly wrong during these procedures are slim, the body simply needs time to heal.
I was on some pretty heavy pain med and unable to even lie down however i am happy to report that 6 days later i am starting to come good.
I can only hope that it is the same for everyone else too, it will be painful and some people may take longer to heal than others but just remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel.. take it easy and hopefully all will work out okay for you.. Heat worked the best for me :-) Hope this helps
has anyone suffered palpitations after having their lumber puncture, I had mine done two days ago after the 5th attempt they got it under guided xray, but since i got home i havent had any real headache I have just felt very washed out, with constant palpatations??  has anyone else experienced this?
I went in the emergancy room for a migraine to maybe even a sinus pressure. And they gave me a spinal tap. To make sure I didnt have bleeding in the brain. The Dr told me that she did hundreds of them. But now I think that I was her first one. Because a Dr was tell her what to do. She hit the nerve in my left leg three times. And I screamed every time. Now I have pain that shoots from my back straight down my leg and then some times I get a tingley feeling in my toes. I can stand or walk for a long time. If I sqwat it makes it feel a little better. I am gonna go to get therapy on Monday. Hope that helps. I can't even go to work any more. If anyone gets better or has any suggestions please let me know. I didnt think that there was this many people with this same problem. I thought I was crazy. The Dr's don't even know what to do. Spasm pills dont help.
Hi Misty,

How are you feeling aftee you recovered? post LP?? i guess its almost more than a year now? Evene i had an LP done around 7 months back and am almost bed-ridden since LP, I had three mri's done but nothing has comeout in the MRI, I experience severe Neck pain and lower back pain
I went to the hospital for migrainesand ear infection and they decided to do a spinal tap on my back to check for some other illness and they did the test I was told to lay straight on my back for an hour and then released but only yo return within 2 days of the procedure because my migraines was worse and now I have ex stream pain from my neck down to my feet and then they did a blood patch and I'm still in pain and it has been a month my back still hurts I take the pain pills and the pain moves from my lower back to the middle of my back to my neck then moves it way back down a on going pain wat is left to do with these Complications
  I was diagnosed with pseudo tumor a year ago.  My neurologist suggested weight loss to reduce swelling and I lost 30 pounds.  It made the pressure reduce dramatically.  I have had about 6 spinal taps in a year and the recent one was painful.  I had lower back pain for about a week and it went away.  That was 3 weeks ago and now I am experiencing severe pain in my neck.  This latest LT shows the spinal fluid pressure is increasing again.  This concerns me because I have vision problems now because of the past pressure.  I have to wear glasses now.  I would recommend weight loss if any of you have pseudo tumor...  That is helping me....
Had a LP this am (6/11/13) - been lying flat & drinking ridiculous amounts of caffeine...only get up to eat or use the bathroom. Pain in my lower back & hips is severe, sitting to use the toilet or to get back into a horizontal position is excruciating. I have already started with severe pain in my neck & shoulders, as well as getting a migraine that is increasing worse as time goes on. It took about 8 hours from the completion of the procedure for the headache to escalate to a full blown migraine. I am extremely nauseous, dizzy, having vision issues & keep losing feeling (more like pins & needles at times) in my hands. I have taken 2 percocets with no relief & zofran for the nausea to no avail. I am also shaking a lot. Lying down is not really relieving the migraine. I have had 2 previous LP's in the past that have required a blood patch. Any ideas on my next course of action if things continue to escalate?
I don't' trust  in doctors anymore, they don't care about us, the patients. They are saying we're crazy, well they are so ignorant and arrogant people. Hard to believe them when they fail so much and give us stupid answers.

I have had a lumbar punct and I'm experiencing horrible pain in my legs. I hope you find relieve soon. The pain is so bad.
The doctors are only making us sicker.
wrong i had a blood patch done for my hydrocephalas migraines,as my regular lp from days earlier the hole wasnt closed and it didnt work,so neurologist sent me in for my first ever blood patch ,to see if that would relieve my symptoms it helped my headaches but later that day when they let me go home I noticed when I arose to go to the bathroom I lost grip with my legs and my tailbone area hurt so bad I couldnt stand it plus I had lots of bruises and now its been 3 weeks and the symptoms are not any better.I was wondering if vy havig this 1 time blood patch screwed me up nerve wise ,As I can barely stand up.This nevr happen with my regular spinal taps I get so why now?
I had a very bad headache that made me visit the ER.They preform a spinal tap to check for menagities.So then send me home with a diagnos of Pseudo tumor Celebri.My headache never went away it got worst and worse.So the next day I went to a different hospital where I got something for my pain and the release me to go home.That didn't help me at all my headaches got worse that I felt my brain was going to bust inside of me.Then I went again back to the ER I went the second time.Then they had realized that the first lumber punture wasnt measure for pressure.So they had to do a second one that showed pressure was normal and send me home the same day with a follow up to a Neuro Dr.Well thank god that I was release at 7am and able to see a Neuro Dr the same day.At 10 am my pain was so bad I got to his office sreaming and throwing up.Thats when he saw me and admited me to the hospital to do a epidural blood patch that healed my headaches on the spot.Now the only thing left is my lower back pain and my right leg that suffer from cramps...
I have had 4 lumbar nerve blocks with out a complications...and have felt great after 10 days.  I had one Tuesday and have developed a real bad headache. Was told to drink fluids,(esp with caffine), rest and use heating pad........it has really helped. Of course, the dr will always say if it gets worse, come in for a plug.  Mine is slightly going away, so I know it will heal itself.  As far as the lumbar nerve blocks...they are heaven sent to me and the pain is so much less.  I can not take many medicines or pain meds due to chronic kidney disease and low kidney function...so I rarelt take anything before, or afterwards.  Praying for you all to feel better.  If no headache, I am told to get out of bed, walk length of house twice  every 1 hr...That may be the key...staying in bed is never good on the body.
I had a lumber puncture a week ago tomorrow, 2 days later had to go back to er for a blood patch because my back and headache was unbearable. It's now been 4 days since the blood patch and my back still hurts, my head and eyes still hurt and I get dizzy and nauseous. I have been out of work for a week now. How long will this all take to go away? My neurologist want me to start taking Diamox...anyone heard of this? I have an appt. tomorrow morning with my primary doctor.....any help or advice is welcome.

thanks
grumpygirl
I am a 27yr old female& in June I had my second daughter&my second spinal block done. The crna that came to do tried to numb me several times, but after each time she did then tried to do the spinal i could feel it on the left side of my spine, she poked& proded me for about 45 min,I could feel blood running down my back& she literally scrubbed the skin off where she was trying to do the spinal, it was very painful. Finally  my ob nurse told her to stop&they would get someone else to try. The other crna had no problems&was done in15 min. After my delivery I had sever lower back&butt pain, it felt like I was sitting on my tail bone,I thought it was due to the delivery bed, but for the last6 months I've had sever lower back pain that radiates to my butt& legs, I've tried OTC pain aids& icy hot&heating pad, but it only dulls the pain temporarily. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
I had mine done in Dec. 2013...Now June of 2014...still not right.  Hit a nerve in my right leg 3 times during procedure
I had a lumber puncture done almost 2 years ago and the nurse told me i may feel a pain going down my legs.. instead i had a pain going up my back and the nurse told me that it couldn't be and acted as if i was making things up.. they made me lie down on my back for 12 hours before i was allowed to move and now, 2 years later, i am still suffering from severe back pains.. i was 18 at the time and i am now 20..
I had my lumber puncture in November 2012. I don't remember the procedure due to me suffering several strokes but apparently the first Dr made a mess of it and had to get someone else in to sort it out. I was left quiet bruised after, I was told. Ever since then I have had lower back pain but particularly if the area where it was done is pressed on. i.e. if my 4yo daughter tries to sit on my back to play horsey, which we always did before I got sick so I'm not blaming her. But I would like to know if it normal to still have this pain or if there is anything I can do to stop the pain :( Once its been aggravated the pain lasts quiet a while. Could this be due to the Lumber puncture or am I just connecting dots that don't really connect? Many Thanks in advance.
My name is Jose, I am a 33yr old former army medic and paramedic. I had an anaphylactic response to Amoxycillan during basic training and had a seizure. the Doctors told me the lumbar puncture was given to rule out meningitis. I had the normal back pain for the first year or two when it would get cold. The doctors also told me the pain might increase with time. I did not know that meant pain so severe you can't sleep, you feel nauseous if you move, bowel control is iffy, etc, etc. I have spoken to several individuals who suffer the same. My own personal beliefs will not let me take any kind of opiate/heroin based pain reliever so I am in constant pain any time an electrical signal runs through my nervous system, which is all the time. Now if you are comfortable with the legal heroin trade many doctors are part of them lumbar punctures are a routine diagnostic tool and all the problems that arise from them can be masked with drugs. In summation, unless you can afford to be a doped up zombie I would avoid getting a lumbar puncture done. Sorry for the rant, when you are in constant pain you get real angry about simple stuff.
My daughter recently had a lumbar puncture to determine if she had MS.   The lumbar puncture was performed by an ER doc and a little RN.   The doctor did not give her much for pain and the little RN had to hold my daughter in a fetal position in order to be still.  The day after the puncture she developed a headache that she could not tolerate so I took her to the local urgent care for some relief of the pain.  The urgent care said it was beyond their scope so they sent her to the ER.  Once at the ER they gave my daughter fluids and typical migraine meds for her headache.   My daughter had three seizures during this time and several episodes of her whole body acting like a Charlie horse - all her muscles contracted at the same time for about 15 seconds.  My daughter had never had a seizure before.

The hospital admitted my daughter for 3 days - they treated her with simple pain meds like tramadol - this child is in constant pain and nothing touches it.  Then other symptoms started, my daughter gradually lost the ability to walk - she has no ability to walk - her brain is trying to communicate with her legs but can't.  Also, my daughter has periods of blindness - just out of nowhere - she will lose her sight in both eyes for about 30 mins or so and then the sight returns.  

Has anyone else had these kind of symptoms from a LP and if so, were they temporary.  

I feel so helpless and I can't get anyone to help her - they think that it will cure itself.   Yet they leave her in so much pain.