Neurology Community
basal ganglia calcification?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

basal ganglia calcification?

Hi, I have a question about basal ganglia calcification. My mom went to the E.R. for a severe headache and got a head CT scan. Under "findings" it states that everything is normal except for "noted basilar ganglia calcification bilaterally."  How serious is this condition?  She does not have any abnormal neurologic symptoms except for some depression.  I'm worried because I don't know if this is serious and needs follow up (she doesn't have insurance).  I was researching and came across fahr's syndrom (syndrome)/disease and I'm afraid this is what she has. So will someone automatically develop fahr's if they have basal ganglia calcification?  Thanks.
hi sandra,nothing much to worry about as these calcifications in basal ganglis are mainly idiopathic(no cause).They can happen in patients with abnormal calcium metabolism.Fahr syndrome is rare possibilty.

Please go through this website http://www.geneclinics.org/profiles/bgc,some neuropsychiatric symptoms may happen due to these calcifications which are taken care of with medicines.
Avatar n tn
Hi sandra,

Since your mother does not have neurological symptoms, it's unlikely that she has Fahr's syndrome.It is associated with dysarthria, gait abnormality, mental deterioration, loss of motor accomplishmant, spaticity, and abnormal eye movements.

It's more likely that your mom has condition known as 'Idiopathic basal ganglia calcification, which is associated with bilateral basal ganglia calcifications, neuropsychiatric abnormalities, disturbances of movement. There could be dementia and an organic psychosis. Mood disorder has also been reported less often.
Avatar n tn
Thanks for your responses.  I guess I'm worried because she's only 47, so I thought maybe she just hadn't developed the symptoms.  If she does have "idiopathic basal ganglia calcification" how likely is she to develop those symptoms and how soon?

Thank You.
I have Fahr's disease. Depression is one of its symptoms. But you'll know when she gets in her 50's. Then, they can do a cat scan and you'll know for sure. Right now she is too young to register the calcium deposits in her brain. There is nothing to be done for Fahr's. Its an orphan and very rare disease. Paua
I hve calcium deposits in basal ganglia I hve severe headaches and stabbing like  pain in eyes my neck and back are bad iunder gone scans had  elbows and hands under psychologist and psychiatrist neurologist said in letter there something called fahrs but nothing can b done about it and dismissed me but I kept on and he seen me again and said I hvnt got it it all to do with neck but I'm not happy with that please help Wat I can do because I seem to be going round in circles