Neurology Community
bilateral buttocks numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

bilateral buttocks numbness

I have had bilateral buttocks numbness for 2 months. Very difficult to sit more than a few minutes, very difficult to lie down or turn side to side at all. Have had MRIs of cervical, thoracic and lumbar spines. Cervical shows bulging disc I think at C6 or 7, thoracic shows thoracic hemangioma, lumbar shows DJD from L1 through L5 but no obvious nerve impingement. No medication works on the nerve pain/numbness. It is driving me crazy. The only comfortable position is standing or walking. My knee reflexes are very brisk. Any ideas. I am seeing a neurologist now who is sending me to a neurosurgeon at a well known hospital where I am a nurse. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Gagy
Hi.

Do you also feel pain running down your legs from your buttocks?

Since your MRIs have apparently ruled out any spine-related disorder or nerve impingement, it would be possible that the cause of your condition might be located within the area of the buttocks itself.

Some conditions that might be causing this include ischial bursitis or inflammation at the ischial tuberosity, gluteus minimus referred sciatic pain, and piriformis syndrome.

Treatments that are reported to have had some degree of success in relieving the pain include anti-inflammatory medications coupled with physical therapy aimed at strengthening the hip rotator muscles.

You should go ahead with the consult and talk to your neurologist about these possibilities.

Good luck.
Hi Gagy,
How are you feeling now? Under which faculty you were serving as nurse? How old are you? It is difficult for a surgeon to recommend for surgery is patient is young as there are complications associated with spinal surgery.
Nerve Root Pain - nerve root pinching / irritation / compression / trapping is always associated with signs of nerve dysfunction (not working properly) such as pain, tingling, numbness, and weakness. The causes of the irritation are: - within the spine Annular Tear (small disc tear), Disc Prolapse (herniation), Spinal Stenosis (narrowing of the internal diameter of the spinal canal) among others. Spinal Nerve Root Pain (Radiculopathy) can arise when nerves become pinched or trapped within the bony spinal canal or vertebral column.
There are many different terms used to describe spinal disc pathology and associated pain, such as “herniated disc”, “pinched nerve”, and “bulging disc”. The bones which form your spine are called as vertebrae. The space between two vertebras is cushioned with disc. When disc bulge or break open due to any reasons like ageing (aging), or trauma to spine, it is called as herniated disc and this can cause pinching of nerve. It can happen in any region, but is more common at lower back in lumbar region and cervical region.
It is advisable for you to do physiotherapy for relief of pain and spasm of muscle, pain killers and pain management specialist for conservative management.
But if this fails, the option left is surgery.
You can try TENS or TEMS for your chronic pain relief.
With regard's to your Degenrative joint disease of L1 to S5 level which is also referred to as Osteoarthritis, I think you should consult an orthopaedician.
I think the surgeon will exhaust all his options on conservative management and then put up suggestion for surgery.
What has the neurologist explained you regarding the ailment? What has he planned treatment for you?
Hope this helps.
Thank you for your time in responding to my question. I do not have any pain radiating down my leg, it is confined to buttocks numbness and numbness to my knees when sitting for any length of time. I am a little better in that I can sit about 5 minutes before the numbness sets in whereas previously it was numb the minute I sat down. I am 65 years old and work at Mass General Hosp. in Boston and being treated there. I have an appt. with a neurosurgeon next week but don't know what to think. Surgery would be my absolute last thing to think about. I think one of the MRI's showed spinal stenosis which seems like a possible problem. I will continue to post my progress.
Hi.

Do you remember where in what level of the spine the spinal stenosis was visualized?

The possibility that the spinal stenosis is related to your symptoms would depend on the severity of the stenosis as well as the location in the spine.

Go ahead on the consult with the neurosurgeon to have a proper evaluation of your symptoms.

Do update us on your condition whenever possible.

Good luck.
I have seen the neurosurgeon who states that the spinal stenosis is not severe enough to cause nerve impingement.  He does not see any surigical problems and has referred me back to the neurologist. In the meantime I am getting better in that I can now sit for 20 minutes or so before getting too uncomfortable. The thoracic MRI shows a hemangioma which he suggests I have another MRI in 3 mos to make sure it doesn't change, other than that there doesn't seem to be a lot of information after many MRIs. I will continue to update. Thanks for your time. Gagy