Neurology Community
bilateral calf twitching

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

bilateral calf twitching

I am concerned about MS.  I have had bilateral calf twitching for about 2 months now.  I have no apparent weakness, atrophy or senory symptoms. It may be related to a fatigue issue as I stand all day at work. It however is only a little better in the morinings but still present. My question is how concernced should I be, and does this need to be evaluated by a neuro/gp?
Hi, there.  Thanks for your earlier comment and offer!  I'm beginning to feel that we here on the forum are a big family and we see a lot of things come and go.  In actuality, I'm a newcomer, having been reading here for 4 or 5 months and been plastering the forum with comments for a couple weeks.  A lot of people have been around much longer and they will join in the reassurances.

I presume you are referring to the small isolated muscle fiber jerks like we all get here and there (around the eyes etc.) except that your's has persisted.  Am I correct? These are called fasiculations and they occur within the body of a muscle group and do not cause movement across a joint.

Twitching is not a common presenting symptom in MS, though those with MS do often twitch.  I realize that is not the most reassuring thing I could say.   But, a "bilateral" presentation of a symptom is not at all characteristic of MS.

Isolated muscle twitches are common.  They occur more frequently in muscles that are newly being utilized or exercised after a period of being more quiet and rested.  They occur in fatigued muscles (change of shoes recently?)  They are heightened with anxiety.  They can occur as the side effect of some meds.  And they often start after a viral illness.  They also aren't a central (CNS) symptom, but much more a peripheral, muscular symptom.

As we have often seen they may generalize after starting in one place and occur all over, driving you nuts.  You might google "benign fasciculation syndrome."  You'll rest a lost easier.

When my feet started twitching (looked like worms writhing under the skin - charming..) I went back on my Mag supplement and, though they continued, I was less able to feel them and they were less often.  As always, when I talk about Mag supps, I recommend something other than Magnesium oxide which is in 95% of the OTC products.  It's poorly bioavailable, but very cheap!  I prefer one of the following salts mag: orotate, taurate, glycinate, arginate, even sulfate.

Probably more than you wanted to know, eh?  Quix
quix,

Thanks for the post back!  I am almost certain that what I have is benign. Im sure you find it easier to "diagnose" others then ourselves. I have spent ALOT of time at the bfs.com site and could easily reach bfs as my "diagnosis".  What do you think about a formal neuro visit.  I am not completely convinced I would get anything different and know that those types of visits can cause insurance and gp's thinking someone is crazy.
I have constant twitching from head to toe, all day, every day.  I don't know what it is but I don't think it's benign.  I also have numbness, tingling, muscle pain and weakness.  This has been going on for almost 2 years now with no diagnosis.  The symptoms change from hour to hour, day to day etc...Sometimes my left leg drags when I walk.  I've had numerous MRI's of brain and C-spine, evoked potentials, spinal tap etc...all completely normal.  I had a normal EMG of my legs 2 years ago.  I think I need another EMG and a muscle biopsy.  Anyone have any ideas???  I've seen 5 neurologists so far.  MS ruled out by all of them.
That's a personal call.  It really depends on your level of discomfort (physical or psychological).  Certainly twitching as you describe it is not particularily a herald symptom for anything dire or that will benefit from immediate therapy, however it can be annoying to the point of nerve-wracking.  I would be the first one to tell you to get checked out, because I am very conservative in that manner, but, when I started twitching I pretty much ignored it.

I'm sure others will chime in here in a day or two.  Quix
My twitching symptoms are all in my legs. I don not feel that it is related to restless leg syndrome. It feels like all the twitching is happening inside my legs and I can feel it so much more when my legs are touching, as in laying down. It feels like there are some sort of creatures in there crawling around. Is this a vitamin deficiency or does anyone have any suggestions? I was worried about PVD, but I don't think the symptoms match.
Thanks for your help!
candyjo
It's time for me to comment. My body-wide, but primarily leg/feet, twitching, is not yet two weeks old. But I emphasize, only my awareness is this old. For all I know, I could have had this problem for years. Tingling in pinky/ring finger made me do a search on ALS to see of tingling was a symptom. It's not, but I noticed that twitching is. But I wasn't twitching...until two days later. So, my twitching came AFTER learning it was an ALS symptom. I am a journalist. I didn't know that so many people have the same problem I have. I want to write a big, in-depth magazine article about this, to alleviate fears and provide answers to EVERY conceivable question about twitching and ALS. I'd like to include real-life BFS sufferers. This is maddening. I'm only 11 days out, so I have not yet passed that "probationary" period, like many of you have. My e-mail is:   ***@****

I'm serious. I'm a magazine editor and freelance magazine writer. I will get the bet neuros in on this, and every frickin' question will be answered. My big toe is twitching as I type this.
This program won't let me print my e-mail address, yet I've seen others' e-mail addresses. Let me try another one:  ***@****
Let me try this:  My e-mail is:

twitcherama    at(the symbol)
wmconnect.com
My sister had this bubbling of her calves and sometimes tingling of her feet for over 5 years. She recently found out that she has B12 and Calcium deficiency. You might want to get this checked. She has been getting B12 shots but you can also take B12 sublinqual (under the tongue). Don't try B12 capsules because it won't be absorbed this way. B12 deficiency causes neuromuscular problems. You can read up on it.
My sister had this bubbling of her calves and sometimes tingling of her feet for over 5 years. She recently found out that she has B12 and Calcium deficiency. You might want to get this checked. She has been getting B12 shots but you can also take B12 sublinqual (under the tongue). Don't try B12 capsules because it won't be absorbed this way. B12 deficiency causes neuromuscular problems. You can read up on it. Also get your potassium level checked.