Neurology Community
bilateral numbness/coldness/timgling/cramping of hands & feet

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

This is my first post ever. I have just been extremely concerned for the past few months. About 2 months ago i started feeling cramping in my forearms and legs. It traveled to my hands and feet, bilaterally. The cramping is not sever at all. It does not hurt but is noticeable. This went on for a few weeks before I decided to see my primary doctor. At that point, I had begun to develop sensations of numbness/tingling and coldness that would alternate arms and legs. My hands would get really cold as well as my feet. This would make it more noticeable. My primary physician did an exam and pretty extensive blood labs. He checked liver and kidney function, metabolics, magnesium, lipid panel, thyroid function, cpk, psa, testosterone, hematologycrp, homocysteine, free t3. everything was within normal limits. the cpk was slightly elevated at 300 or so but being that i weight train every day and do cardio every day, my cpk has ranged from 250-320 for years now. Two weeks later I went to another doctor who also did an exam and ran labs. He did a cbc w/diff/platelet, CMP, Hep function panel, Lipid panel, HSV1 and 2-spec. Ab, IgG, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Antinuclear Antibodies, RPR, Sed rate-westergren, CPK, Vitamin B-12, Magnesium, Serum, Lyme IgG, Ambig Abbrev CMP14. Nothing was wrong. Another doctor (who is a friend) decided to give it a go a few weeks later and ran the same tests, everything was fine. My primary doctor referred me to a paim and rehab specialst with a referal of pain in the elbow radiating to wrist and fingers, with tingling etc. They performed manual muscle testing and an EMG and NCV from my elbows down to hands, bilaterally. A diagnosis of mild bilateral median nerve neuropathy at wrist and bilateral ulnar nerve neuropathy at elbow (mild cubital tunnel syndrome) I expressed concerns of MS so they ordered a MRI cervical spine. This came back perfect. There was a slight herniatio in the T5-6. Still not convinced that there was nothing seriously wrong I went to a neurologist which they referrred me to. I was feeling major numbness and pain in right leg at this time and hands and arms were going numb on and off. it was beginning to effect my workouts and quality of life. My hands and feet would always have a "crampy" tight feeling and my tendons in my hands would almost feel slower. I went to the neurologist who did a full 20 min. exam with all the bells and whistles and said there was nothing wrong. He told me he did not think i could possibly have MS or any neurological disorder.He suggested an MRI of brain to ease my mind. everything came back unremarkable with the exception of mild thickening of ehtmoid sinuses. So, Ive been seen by 3 doctors, a pain specialist and a neuroligst, ive had 2 MRI's, and an EMG done. I went to a top orthropedic dr. who also found nothing after examining me. Throughout this course I had a regular annual dental and eye exam, everything fine. Ive been on a muscle relaxer and Qualaquin at night which does help. Is it possible that I could be experiencing these symptoms without any major problems? I turly hope so but I find it hard to believe. It just seems strange how if my hands or feet get cold, they remain cold for a while and it travels up my arms/legs. My hands always feel a bit crampy at the meaty part by my thumb. my feet seem cramp under the arch. I am a 31 yr. old male. I have been weight training for 15 years, and over the past few years have significantly slowed down (marriage/children etc.). the symptoms are intermittent.
please help me

vinny
Hi there, I was on the internet looking up something similar to what you have been dealing with.  I had a bad cold in mid December and at the same time developed a weak feeling in my right leg and right hand, with some tingling as well, which has persisted since.  I had an episode of tingling in my right leg 3 years ago and had an MRI of brain and spinal cord (my sister has MS, so I was maybe a little over concerned about MS myself, I am a 28 year old female).  That MRI was normal, but now I am worried all over again.  I must admit I am a little relieved to hear about people with similar symptoms who have had an otherwise negative workup.  I have been researching this a lot and there seem to be a lot of people out there with weird symptoms with no real explanation.  Even though sometimes people want an answer for what's going wrong, at the same time, we don't want to find out something bad is going on.  I sincerely feel that you can rest assured there is nothing being missed with all the tests you have undergone.  The only thing I can think of is trying to eliminate some the strange chemicals that sneak into our food/drink, like trying to decrease caffeine, diet soda with artificial sweeteners, or try going to some alternative medicine physicians like acupuncture or chiropractor to try to eliminate some of the annoying symptoms.  It sounds like you are a very healthy person otherwise, and this has been confirmed with a bunch of tests.  I am planning on giving my symptoms a little longer to go away (it's been about 5 weeks), but I may end up doing all the tests you just described, fingers crossed!  Good luck, I am sure you are fine!!!!!