Neurology Community
blackout? After TBI and 2 concussions

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

blackout? After TBI and 2 concussions

I am 60 years old now.  When I was 48 I was in a car accident which gave me a traumatic brain injury, requiring both cognitive and physical rehab.(I had been hit by the rear of a spinning dump truck.)  When I was 56 I was rear ended by an 18-wheeler on Interstate-95.  This caused many of the old symptoms of my first accident to come back: extremely bad headache, nausea, inability to focus, then a temporary personality swing (angry, frustrated - not myself), etc.followed by rehab again.  Then when I was 59 I was "T-barred" by an SUV who ran a red light and hit me with much force.  This also caused the same symptoms above.  My question is about an accident I had last week.  None of the prior 3 accidents were my fault nor could have been forseen by me.  I am an excellent driver with nothing on my record.  I am especially careful about keeping my distance from vehicles in front of me and always have been even before my accidents.
     Last week I was driving at about 55 mph (I think) on a much driven familiar to me 4 lane road.  The next thing I knew I had crashed my beautiful new car into the SUV in front of me. I found out later that he was waiting for  a stop light and there was a vehicle in front of him who was also waiting.  The first thing I said to someone after I got out of my car was "I DON'T DO THIS!"  After that I said "I don't know what happened" and "I don't remember anything" , "I don't have a clue what happened" (wishing someone could tell me).  My 29 year old son came (I guess I must have called him on my cell.)  I could barely mumble anything coherent and was unable to follow the policeman's instructions.  Thank goodness my son was there to take over for me.  The police kept asking me if I wanted a paramedic and I kept on refusing, several times.  Now my question is this : DID I HAVE A BLACKOUT?  If so how was I more vulnerable that day?  I know that I was very tired and needed to "get horizontal" (lay down) starting about 5 hours before.  (Since my first accident, I know when I absolutely need to lay down, even if it's on the floor.)  But on this day not only could I not lay down, I had to STAND forever until I got into my car.  I will see my neurologist next week for an already scheduled appointment.  I realize now that I should have tried to see him ASAP.
     My meds are as follows:Depakote 500 mg 2xday for migraine prevention, klonopin .5 mg day for nocturnal myoclonus (from many years before the accident after getting incorrect meds during surgery), EffexorER 150mg/day (pm) as an antidepressant, and trazadone 50mg/day (pm) as an antidepressant).  I am now getting a tiny dose of the usual concussion symptoms.  (head pains, upset stomach.)
     Please tell me if it sounds like I had a blackout.  Looking at the intersection now (with my son driving) I really don't understand it.  I couldn't have not seen all of the lights at the intersection unless I was blind, and it was a very familiar one to me with the same familiar businesses around it. Apparently I didn't even slow down I was told.  There were no brake marks and the driver that I hit couldn't believe it when I kept on coming at approx. 50-55mph and never slowed down.  This whole experience is so inexplicable to me.  Is there anything you can explain to me?  I NEVER want this to happen again.
     After I got home from the accident I couldn't stay awake and slept on the couch when I didn't want to.  Now my sons won't let me drive.
   Thank you for your time and attention.
                 Nancy