blackouts and pregnancy
I am an almost 26 year old, I am 18.5 ish weeks along in my pregnancy, and I have hyper emesia, for which the cause os currently unknown, medically speaking. I have epilepsy which I have been struggling with as well as maintaining control of since I was seventeen, and since the pregnancy, have been hospitalised twice for extreme dehydration caused by the hyper emesia. I am also a three type cancer recovery patient, who has only been out of chemo for a little over a year, as of now.

At about ten weeks, around Feb 11, I was hospitalised for extreme dehydration, and one again two weeks following. My doctor is very sweet, but with my medical history, I think he may be looking too far from my nestbed of issues and looking for new things that are wrong, as opposed to looking at what I already have.

I expressed concerns over an issue, I started having blackouts, accompanied by very short term memory loss and tooth numbness (all pretty rapidly onset, all following an aura where I see stars, and preceding vomiting fits.) My doctor had sonograms done because I had extrem pain above and to the right of my belly button, that spread to near where my gallbladder was. They found sludge, but the walls were not thickened.. and when the surgeon came on, he said " I don't think the gallbladder is the issue.. if you want me to perform surgery whole you are pregnant, and we don't even know that this is the cause of your issues, I will, but I think something else is at play here. My partner and I have since been researching online (that is never safe, I know, self diagnosis.. but not having any idea what is wrong is far scarier now that a little one is on the line as well.) I think my blackouts may be focal seizures. And I have stopped driving until we can clarify that with my doctor. But I would like to know, is this something that could harm my baby? Until fairly recently, epileptic women were discouraged from baring children..  so there isn't a whole lot of information about it out there, other than the fact that focal seizures are common in women who have epilepsy, even if they Did not previously have focal seizures.(mine were tonic-clinic, and  I had grand mol seizures.. as far as I am seeing these are blackouts with mild, temporary memory issues, with numbness and emesia. Is there anything I can do to help that won't pit the baby in danger? Anything I can do to make sure that I am keeping mine and the baby's best interests in mind?
Hi there!

Well, without the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. While hyperemesis is commonly associated with pregnancy/ hormonal changes, it can be compounded by a number of factors. Blackout be the symptom of a variety of conditions such as anemia, malnutrition, low blood sugar, low blood pressure, neurological causes etc.; while some of these may be potentially harmful to the baby. I would suggest considering a detailed evaluation by a neurologist and then discussing the situation with your treating obstetrician. After a specific cause is identified, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!