Neurology Community
blindness following shunt insertion

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

blindness following shunt insertion

My friend has become blind immediately following the implantation of a shunt to drain CSF.  Surgery was 1 week ago.  Is this temporary?  Thank you.

This discussion is related to Shunt Overdrainage/Subdural Hematoma.
Hi there.

I'm sorry to learn what happened.  I'm not sure if this is one of the complications or risks of shunt placement, but the blindness may have something to do with what part of the brain is affected.  The occipital lobe (the hind part of the brain) is responsible for visual processing and this might have been affected (though I'm not sure by what mechanism).  Also, the pressure changes in the brain may contribute to this blindness.  I hope that this will be indeed is temporary and I'm hoping for a complete recovery.  

Regards and God bless.