Neurology Community
blood clot in the neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

blood clot in the neck

my mum has a blood clot in her neck a bit has broken off and gone into her eye she has been told she will need an operation what will entail??
How is she feeling now? Do you mean to say that she is being diagnosed with a blood clot in her neck area? But how was she diagnosed?
What sought of operation is the doctor's talking about?
Can you post some details about the event?
Bye.
Your mother will undergo surgery known as carotid endarterectomy since the blood clot in the eye came from the carotid artery in the neck. The surgery involves opening the lumen of the internal carotid artery, removal of the atheromatous plaque. The artery is then closed. The overlying layers are closed. Many surgeons lay a temporary shunt to ensure blood supply to the brain. The operation can be done under general or local anaesthesia.Hope this helps!
she also suffers with diabetes does that make it more serious?
Dont worry it does not make it serious its only that her blood sugar will be controlled optimally before surgery. She will be nil by mouth overnight prior to surgery.An insulin glucose infusion will be started on the day of surgery. Just make sure that your treating doctor is aware that she is a diabetic.Good luck!
hi,
my grandma has 2 blood clots in her neck.......and she cant do the surgery and shes 85 years old.......what is gonna happen to her?
my mom just found out she has blood clot or clots in her neck should i be worried anyone one know if it is fatal or how serious?
what are signs of blood clots in the neck? does anyone know?
if anyone does, can they email me at purple_rain101***@****
Thanks!
My mom had aorta replacement and by-pass surgery. Five days later released from hospital. She had a stroke the day of release. She went back to the e.r 3 days later. She now gas a blood clot in ger neck. With everything she has had done in the last 2 weeks what xan be done to rid her of her clot