Neurology Expert Forum
blood pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

blood pressure

Dear Doctor,
I hope I am posting to the right forum.  I have a question I've never seen on the forum before.  Dealing with blood pressure.  What is a normal blood pressure reading?  The reason I ask is I have anxiety/panic terribly.  When  I go to the doctor I am so nervous inside, really, but my reading is always 120/70.  It never changes, I swear in the past 6 yrs.  But, at home, when i do my own readings, it's usually 90/60.  And has remained like that for the past 5 yrs.  Both my dad and aunt had hypotension.  Lately, I've started Zoloft, for this anxiety. A low dose, 25 mgs.    I've notice my readings have dropped even more.  Like 90/50. 80/50.   Could it be this medicine?  I hate to stop it, as it's had a very calming affect.  But could this be the reason I'm a little light headed at times?  And since I do have such low readings  at home, but highter at doctor's office, does that mean I'm leaning towards hypertension, which my mother had. When is a reading too low that it should be checked into further? I am a healthy 45 yr old female.  No smoking/drinking.  Thank you for your time. And I apologize for the length of this!  The service this forum provides is excellent.
jane
Dear Jane:

You probably want the cardiology site.  But the literature tell us that 140 systolic and 90 diastolic is high blood pressure.  Thus, yours is lower than that and subsequently not high blood pressure.  Low blood pressure can cause light-headedness, especially when you stand up quickly.  Yes, anxiety can raise blood pressure and this is what is likely happening at the doctor's office.  This is very common.  I am not sure what sort of machine your using at home so I can't comment on your blood pressure at home.  Your body should adapt to the medication and preserve the normal blood pressure you have.  You should talk to your family physician and let him/her know about your worries and home blood pressure readings.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I'm sorry,  I think I should've posted on the Heart Forum.  I don't want to re ask this question over there, because I don't want to take up someone else's space for a question.  Could you still give me some insight on my question?
Sincerely
Jane
ff