brachial plexus block
I have a question about nerve block.  I had a nerve block 2 and a half weeks ago for hand surgery.  My thumb, middle finger, and index finger are still numb.  I can feel pressure, but not pain.  It feels like my hand is asleep. I cant tell if something is cold or hot, but cant tell how hot or cold.  I have put an ice cube on my fingers and it hardly feels cold.  Every once in a while i have shooting unbearable pain that shoots through my hand.  When i raise my arm up or out i get shooting impulses down  my arm and into the medial  nerve portion of the palm side of the hand.  The doctor told me that its either carpal tunnel or they poked through an artery and the blood came out and is constricting the nerve. ( i have talked to many other dr. and they think the doctor is crazy)  The other dr. I have talked to thinks they could of injected some of the block into my nerve. Nerves are very small and i highly doubt that is the reason.  I cant get a Nerve test done for another week.

I have talked to a neurological nurse and she thinks carpal  tunnel... How can carpal tunnel come on after they type of surgery.

sam
Hi burgio,
How are you feeling now?
Your symptomatology indeed suggests a diagnosis of Carpal tunnel syndrome.
This occurs when the median nerve, which runs from the forearm into the hand, becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist. The median nerve controls sensations to the palm side of the thumb and fingers, as well as impulses to some small muscles in the hand that allow the fingers and thumb to move.
The result may be pain, weakness, or numbness in the hand and wrist, radiating up the arm. Symptoms which you are feeling like unable to tell between hot and cold by touch suggest a strong likelihood of Carpal tunnel.
You have undergone hand surgery whose complications include Carpal tunnel. The surgeon would have explained you the risk before doing the surgery.
Early diagnosis and treatment are important to avoid permanent damage to the median nerve.
It is necessary to confirm the diagnosis by use of electro diagnostic tests like NCV.
Treatment generally involves resting the affected hand and wrist for at least 2 weeks, avoiding activities that may worsen symptoms, and immobilizing the wrist in a splint to avoid further damage from twisting or bending. If there is inflammation, applying cool packs can help reduce swelling.
Pain killers with physiotherapy will help initially. If this does not work, surgery is the option.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
The fingers still feel the same.  The surgeon did not explain the risk before the surgery.  When I told him about everything that is going on he has never had anyone come in with these complications after surgery.  I am just confused still cause i had surgery on my bottom knuckle of my middle finger... please clear this up please thanks!
I think he did a nerve block at wrist before your surgery.
Symptoms are indeed related to your surgery.
There is no other cause, as you have not suffered any trauma to your hand.
Well, I think now we should concentrate on your NCV test to rule median nerve pathology.
If test is positive then without any delay you should start a treatment.
Bye.
He didnt give me a nerve block in my wrist.  That is the weird part.... He didnt cut near my wrist..  

Thanks !