brain foci
I was in an auto accident and recently had an MRI done due to the severity of my neck pain that has been radiating up in to  the back of my skull and the top of my skull. The MRI was of the cervical and CMRI brain. I am 82 y.o. female. C3-4 indicated mild broad disc bulge/marginal osteophyte and on the C4-5 it was greater spondylosis with broad disc/marginal osteophyte complex. The Impression of the brain scan was age-appropriate volume loss and mild chronic small vessel ischemic changes. Negative for intracranial mass-effect, hydrocephalus, acute infarction, or enhancing brain lesion. However, in the report it stated scattered foci of T2 prolongation are seen throughout the bihemispheric white matter. The only definition of foci I have been able to find indicates that they are tumors. Is this so and if so, then why did the impression state no brain lesions. The severe pain up the back of my head has lessened since my chiropractor has been adjusting me since reading the MRI, but I need to know if I should see a neurologist since it mentioned the foci. Is this normalto have foci at my age? Many thanks, Terry
Hello Terry.

Please do not worry about the foci. They are not tumors. Simply put, a focus means any spot seen on the MRI that is different from the background. The foci seen in your MRI are age appropriate and clinically not significant.

I would like to mention, though, that your occipital nerves may have been slightly injured in the auto accident leading to the neck pain. But I am happy that the pain is reduced now. Just be careful with the neck muscles for a few days. These nerves pass through the neck muscles.

Overall, there is nothing much to be worried about. Definitely not the foci.

Regards