Neurology Community
brain mass found on cat scan

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

brain mass found on cat scan

My seventy year old father complained of headaches and some weakness. Bringing him to the emergency room seemed precautionary, but his ct scan revealed a 'mass.' He is now having mri, and a complete battery of tests.  I am so devastated because the first (ct scan) result seems like obvious brain tumor. Can you give me not false hope, but some reason for optimism? Is it possible the 'mass' could represent something else? His basic neurological tests were all good, including movement and vision.
Hi there.

Brain tumor are of different kinds, and these are not tantamount to brain cancer.  These can just be meningiomas, or tumors that arise from the meninges or from the fibrous covering of the brain.  These tumors are benign and are curable with surgery or specialized form of radiation (gamma knife).  

I hope the MRI will give us some definitive answers as this will give the idea if the brain mass is benign or malignant.

Wishing you and your father that all will be well.  Regards and God bless.
Thank you for the optimistic post. The diagnosis is meningioma, large enough to decide on surgery. We feel that the prognosis is cautiously good, that these are benign tumors that can generally be removed. Thank you
hi there iv just found out that my daughter (who is 4yrs old) has a mass on her brain, she had a ct scan for epilepsy purposes and they told me that she needs to have an mri as they found a mass that was all i was told im know wishing that i asked all the questions that came in to my head once i got home. im terrified that its a tumour i feel so lost
staceyxx