Neurology Expert Forum
brain scarring

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

brain scarring

my wife has a scar on the brain which causes her to think people are around her but there really is no one. she also thinks i am someone else. the doctors have not said what the cause of it is or how to care for it. just wanted to know if anything can be done to getr rid of this problem or to prevent it from becoming worst. your thoughts on this.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Psychosis can be a feature after a stroke. The psychotic features may be paranoia, delusions, hallucinations, etc. Additionally, a person may have a belief that a family member is an imposter (which is known as Capgras syndrome). The psychotic features ultimately depend on the location of the lesion/stroke.

The treatment is similar to treating primary psychosis, which may be best under the direction of a psychiatrist. Also, your wife may benefit from neuropsych testing to determine if there are any cognitive and other symptoms from her brain lesion. (These studies can be followed serially to determine worsening or improvement).

I highly recommend that your wife be followed by a psychiatrist. Additionally, having an opinion from a neurologist as to the cause of the “scar” would be important. I mentioned stroke, but there are congenital malformations and other etiologies that appear as a “scar”. If it is from a stroke, appropriate stroke management and workup would be necessary.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.