brain shivers
hiya,

iv been reading throught many sites about brain shivers, i havent ever taken anti depressants, yet i get these shivers. which travel from my head dwn to my toes and through my arms. From reading all these things off differnt websites, they all say that it comes from having taken anti depressants. i feel quite confused now.
First, it's important to understand what it feels like to withdraw or get low on normal antidepressant medicines, which instead of a "shiver," it's more of a "brain zap," which feels like a bolt of electricity that zooms up the spine and into the head.  Now, if you are feeling a "snap" type almost sound, and electrical zoom sensation, that's one thing.  But if you're feeling ordinary shivers from being chilly, that's another.  If you're feeling true brain zaps, a sudden and rather harsh release of electricity, and it goes straight down (instead of up) into the body from the brain, the origin of that might be in the brain itself, which a neurologist physician can determine what is causing it.  But if you're feeling a chilled sensation, a true shiver and shake type thing because you are either cold or nervous, that's not a neurological state, rather it's a reaction of the body to outside stimuli, to warm you up.  Hope this helps a little.
I managed to get a portion of my post wrong.  Instead of saying "straight down (instead of up)," I should have said the opposite, "straight up from the body (instead of down)."  That's what it feels like to have a brain zap or the shiver you referred to as relates to antidepressants.  The sensation goes up from the body and into the brain.  But you CAN also have a brain-centered electrical release that does go down, but it would not be from antidepressants, rather an electrical zap like that may be from a problem in the brain.  In either case, minus antidepressants, a neuro needs to check it out.

The rest of my post is okay the way it is.  Chills or real shivers are because a person is cold or nervous, and this causes the body to shake or jitter, and this is the body's way to warm itself up or release some fear (like hands shaking) on account of something made the body feel cold all of a sudden or made a person feel suddenly fearful.  I apologize for being such a slow-minded person just then.  Just call it a senior moment, I guess.
I too experience this cold wave like feeling almost like a chill in my head. It does not run down the spine though. Sometimes it starts from behind the ear goes up and sometimes just in the middle of the head.  Some time back i also had burning sensation in my head.  

My doc did a blood test and found B12 low. The B12 shot helped me for sometime but the feeling of this sensation is off and on.

Worried it might be something more serious.

Iyer