Neurology Expert Forum
brain throbbing / eye twitching

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

brain throbbing / eye twitching

If I have had constant sinus infection ( every 6-8 weeks for two to three years) can it cause eye twitching and throbbing in the brain. The throbbing has been for more than 5 weeks and I think the doc. thinks its just a headach. What do you think I can do. CT shows polup and right nostrowla norrowen by 80%. Can you give me some pointers.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to take a history and examine you, I can not tell you what the cause of your symptoms is. However, I will try to give you some information.

Sinusitis can cause headaches, and even though there is no specific kind of headache for sinusitis, most commonly patients complain of pressure-like pain in the area close to where the affected sinus is. Headache manifestations can overlap, and some patients report throbbing or sharp headaches even with sinusitis. I have to say that is is rare that you have so frequent episodes of sinusitis, and maybe you should be tested for conditions that may cause frequent sinus infections. Usually a CT rules out structural abnormalities, but other causes could be predisposition to infections or immune problems.
Regarding eye twitching, this is a manifestation for multiple conditions, and it is difficult to determine the cause without a formal evaluation. Some patients complain of eye pain and pressure with sinusitis, however this should be evaluated to make sure there is nothing pressing in the back of the eye, or affecting the vision or the optic nerves. A formal evaluation can give an idea if something wrong is going on, and a CT that give a picture of the orbits, help.  
One of the most concerning complications of sinus infection is extension of the infection into the meninges (membranes that  cover the brain) and the brain. This will manifest with worsening headaches, usually high fevers, neck rigidity, swelling of the eyes, changes in mental status, and in general a worsening of the symptoms. I have to say that this is not very frequent, but is something to think about when someone has a really bad progression of symptoms, and at least from what you describe, it does not sound like at this moment.

The fact that you have sinus infections does not rule out that you can have other kinds of headaches, such as “tension headaches”, migraines, or other condition causing headache.  Migraines can produce throbbing headaches, but there is a specific criteria that helps with the diagnosis. Not all migraines present the same, but the classic picture is one of a one-sided headache, throbbing, lasting many hours, with nausea, vomiting, being bothered by light and sound, and with visual symptoms. There are multiple other symptoms, but in general the diagnosis is made taking into account the whole context.
Tension headaches are more pressure-like and in the setting of stress.
The main point is that headaches can have multiple causes, and can manifest in different ways. The first goal when a physician evaluates a patient, is to make sure that there is nothing worrisome underlying the headache. Then the headache can be divided into many different syndromes, that for practical purposes will help to choose a specific treatment.
If your headaches persist, or worsen, it may be appropriate to seek medical attention with a neurologist, in order to make a diagnosis and address your problem.

As I said previously, without being able to obtain a full history and a physical examination, I cannot tell you what you have, but I hope this information is helpful.