brain white spots
What questions should I ask my neurologist about my recent brain mri and mra, revealing white spots.For 2 days I saw bright colored stringy threads in both eyes, and on the 2nd day a small "smudge" of visual blurring began, and the bright lights went away.  I then experienced a 30 minute episode of global amnesia and confusion. The "smudge" remains, only slightly. The visual symptoms were diagnosed by a retinologist as a "mini-stroke" in my right eye. The neurlolgist's office reported no findings other than white spots in my brain, a normal part of aging. I'm 70 y.o., I'd like more info. than I got on the phone, but don't know what I need to know.

Sally
Hi there. I can see two possibilities in your case. One is a mini stroke or a transient ischemic attack due to brief cessation or decrease of blood supply to the brain, along with the blurring and smudgy vision as a part of this. The brain white spots could be age associated demyelination of the white matter. The other possibility is multiple sclerosis causing the blurring of vision and white spots of demyelination in  a brain MRI reflecting  plaques associated with it.  You need to undergo cerebro spinal fluid examination and neurophysiological testing to confirm the diagnosis apart from a detailed clinical evaluation. Take care.