Neurology Expert Forum
broken neck and arthritis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

broken neck and arthritis
My husband fractured his neck - c7 and has severe arthritis in his neck - how wil this effect his healing process?
I am concerned about it a future break because of the arthritis, too.  Will future strain be a concern, because he is a farmer a does alot of lifting - will that have to change after the healing process?
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I cannot comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

I don't see a reason for his severe arthritis affecting his healing process.  Future strain will however be a concern given his occupation, but mainly for worsening his pain.  I would also recommend getting his Vitamin D and calcium levels checked in addition to being screened for osteoporosis, which is thinning of the bones.  He will be at risk of increased fractures if his bones are brittle.

I hope this information was helpful.