burning from knees down front of my legs only
I wake up just about every morning with my legs on fire from the front of my knee down my shinns. It feels like my legs are on fire. It does not get any better till I get up and move around and then when the burning goes away they just hurt a little. I rub them and it does not help. I am loosing sleep for I just cannot go back to sleep when this happens. I do not hurt in the back of my legs or on the sides when this happens just from the bottom of my knee down my shinns. can anyone help me to know what might be gong on. Thank you Marilyn
Sorry to hear about your pain.  It can be frustrating not knowing what this can be.

I was wondering if you have gone to your primary medical doctor for your pain yet.  Sometimes your PMD will refer you on to a specialist if he feels the need.

I am not sure of your age, but this could a neuropathic type pain from the nerves in your legs.  There are several great medication treatments such as gabapentin and Lyrica that can help relieve neuropathy pain, but I would certainly make an appointment to see your physician first.

I hope you can feel better soon!

terri

Hi, Thank you for your question. Burning sensation, numbness or tingling sensation in any part of body is considered nerve related in origin. This burning sensation you are having can occur due to impingement, irritation or compression of nerve of thigh. Most frequently involved nerve is lateral cutaneous nerve of thigh (which is branch of femoral nerve). This condition is called meralgia paraesthetica which manifests itself as pain, tingling or burning sensation of outer thigh. It may occur due to injury to nerve either due to spinal deformity or along its path to thigh by any ligament or tendon stretch, excessive tight clothing (therefore it is also called "jeans disease"), diabetic neuropathy or damage to nerve after surgery etc. Another nerve which may cause pain in legs is sciatic nerve compression. I would advise a CT scan of spine and thigh, blood sugar levels, and EMG to check out abnormal muscle responses.  Once the diagnosis is reached then treatment modalities available are strict rest, loose clothing, painkillers (NSAIDS and opioid), pain modifier medicines like carbamazepine may also be prescribed by the doctor. Therefore a neurologist’s consultation may help you in this regard.  Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take care.

I am already on gabapentin for the disc damage and osteo arthritis and acute spondylietry arthritis in my neck yet I still get the bad burning in my legs like the lady said