Neurology Expert Forum
burning neurologic pain in anal area

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

burning neurologic pain in anal area

for monthes I have had a burning pain that comes and goes in the anus area, and vaginal area. Goes back and forth.I have been checked by a rectal surgeon, many gynecologists, and a uro-gyn. Was sent to a neurologist.
He believes it is a nerve issue, just can't pin point why at this point. There have been no accidents or trauma to the area. Just either feels like I'm sitting on a red hot rock, or acid  is leaking on to the vaginal area. ofcourse I have been checked for every infection possible, and I'm clear. I had an mri to look at the pudendal nerve area too. looked clear. any ideas what this could be.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

It appears that you have a had quite a thorough workup from the GYN and rectal surgeon point of view.

A local nerve irritation could potentially explain  the pain. However, it is an unusual boday area to have nerve pain in, especially given absence of trauma. Nevertheless it is still possible.

Medications like gabapentin can sometimes help with nerve/neuropathic pain.. If all non-neurological causes have been looked at, then it may be reasonable to try something like that.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.