Neurology Community
burning sensation on the thigh

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

burning sensation on the thigh

I have a burning sensation on my thigh.  What causes it and how can I be helped/

Makonnen

This discussion is related to Burning Sensation in Thigh.
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.
Burning sensation, numbness or tingling sensation in any part of body is considered nerve related in origin. This burning sensation you are having can occur due to impingement, irritation or compression of nerve of thigh. Most frequently involved nerve is lateral cutaneous nerve of thigh (which is branch of femoral nerve). This condition is called meralgia paraesthetica which manifests itself as pain, tingling or burning sensation of outer thigh. It may occur due to injury to nerve either due to spinal deformity or along its path to thigh by any ligament or tendon stretch, excessive tight clothing (therefore it is also called "jeans disease"), diabetic neuropathy or damage to nerve after laparoscopic hernia repair etc. Another nerve which may cause pain in legs is sciatic nerve compression. I would advice a CT scan of spine and thigh, blood sugar levels, and EMG to check out abnormal muscle responses.  
Once the diagnosis is reached then treatment modalities available are strict rest, loose clothings, painkillers (NSAIDS and opoids), pain modifier medicines like carbamazepine may also be prescribed by the doctor. Therefore a neurologist’s consultation may help you in this regard.  Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take care.
Was on my knees on the floor helping my mother when I experienced a ripping pain up the center of my right thigh. This has been about a week ago. I did go see the doctor and he said probably a pulled muscle (rectis  thigh muscle comes to mind). But, it doesn't hurt just with movement...hurts all the time and I can actually put my finger on the place where it hurts. It is a deep ache/pain/some burning sensation. Heat didn't help and ice not doing much either. Any thoughts...I would hate to have a DVT and not know it. No pain medicine seems to touch it! Thanks!
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you It will be difficult for me to provide you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

From your description of symptoms, It appears that it can be a pulled muscle, ligament or tendon stretch as you have persistent pain. It is quite essential that you get this evaluated with the help of an orthopedic right away. In the meantime, try to give rest to your limb, use topical pain killers to get some relief from your symptoms. Hope this helps.