Neurology Community
buzzing/vibrating sensation in head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

buzzing/vibrating sensation in head

I am a 54-year-old woman who gets a vibrating/buzzing sensation in my head(and feeling light headed) that only lasts for a few seconds.  This has been going on for years.  It used to happen maybe one a year but has happened several times in the last several months which troubles me.  My doctor had never encountered this and dismissed it as maybe a drop in blood pressure.  Any ideas?  

There are a lot of causes for dizziness such as inner ear diseases (about 50% of all dizziness), Central or Neurologic conditions(5%) , medical (5%) e.g. low blood pressure, psychological (15%) e.g. anxiety and panic disorder  and unknown causes (post traumatic etc)

Dizziness on lying or on change of posture on bed in elderly can be most likely due to inner ear problems. There is a condition called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) commonly causes dizziness in older people. The most common cause is degeneration of the vestibular system of the inner ear. However, in majority of the cases the cause remains unknown.

The symptoms include dizziness or vertigo, lightheadedness, imbalance and nausea. Symptoms are almost always precipitated by a change of position of the head with respect to gravity (in the direction of the affected ear). The vertigo is brief in duration — 5 seconds to 30 seconds.

The condition is usually self limiting. However, you should consult your physician who can make a definitive diagnosis based on your history, physical examination, and vestibular and auditory tests. The Dix-Hallpike maneuver is diagnostic for the condition.  The treatment of choice for this condition is the “Epley repositional maneuver.

You should consult a neurologist who can do an evaluation of your symptoms and order some investigations (CT/MRI, EEG etc) to find out the cause of your condition. Do write in if you need any other information. Regards.

Take care!

Hi Kubie,

I have had the same sx for almost 2 years.  When It first started I would have those quick episodes 50 or more times a day.  I have had all the inner ear tests done and the Caloric testing was severely reduced in both ears.  They preformed the rotating chair test but my results were normal.  My GP has tried the Hallpike maneuver many times and it does not help. They said it was not inner ear related in my case.  My ct mri were normal and my EEG was withing normal limits.  I still don't have any answers as to what is causing this.

I do have other sx that have crept up over the last year that led me to a dx of neuropathy but they have not told me if the  buzzing/vibration is related.  Hope u get some answers soon and if you do please let us know.
HI DR. SMITA.  WRITING IN CAPS FOR EASE OF READING.
MY WHOLE FAMILY SEEMS TO SUFFER FROM THIS DIZZINESS/UNBALANCE. IT SEEMS TO START IN THE FORTIES AND VERY SLOWLY GETS WORSE. EVERYONE KEEPS SAYING INNER EAR. I AM MORE INTERESTED IN SOME SORT OF SENSORIES FROM THE EYE TO BRAIN AREA. THIS IS BECAUSE IT IS WORSE IN THE DARK AND EVEN HAPPENS WITH EYES CLOSED. I AM SURE IT ISN'T AN INNER EAR THING BUT WE ALL DO SEEM TO LOSE SOME HEARING AS WE GROW OLDER. COULD OR NOT BE COINSIDENTAL. I WAS WONDERING IF A SMALL DRUG FOR MS OR PARKENSON WOULD HELP ANY OF THIS.? I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED IN TAKING PART IN ANY ONGOING OR FUTURE STUDIES. THANKS
PHILLIP
***@****
Hi. Depleted levels of serotonin and other neurotransmitters can cause an imbalance within the nervous system leading to misfired neurons in the brain. A "buzzing" or "electrical" sensation that can last for less than a second to over 30 seconds result from the depletion of the seratonin. The cause of the depletion can vary, from menopause to anxiety or depression, to drug use and even reasons that cannot be explained. Often, an episode that appears to last for a longer duration is actually a short, rapid series of smaller episodes. Other than causing concern and discomfort, there is no real danger to one's health.
I likewise have experienced this mystery disorder and my doctors are stumped (or think I'm imagining it). I've read on other forums many others with similar symptoms.  Mine started about a year ago (Nov 2011) with dizzy feeling...slight buzz like vibration in my forehead, temples, lasts 2-4 seconds.  Awful feeling. When   I try to focus, but my eyes can't because of the vibration.  Sometimes it's every day 20-30 episodes or minutes apart, other days fewere occurrences.  Usually every day for weeks, but at least 2x the symptoms disappeared for 1-2 months and thought i was cured! only symptoms returned and vibration was worse.  For about 6 weeks the symptoms feel like tremors, brief seizures, brain twitching, electrical firing in the brain.  I can't focus visually during the episode. whatever is causing the "vibration" in my head causes my vision to do same despite how hard I try to center my vision.  feels like my eyes are twitching side to side, but eye doctor and family say there's no movement in the eyes. Episodes seem to occur when  trying to view print on a computer screen, tv, or a chart with horizontal lines, that's why I thought this was vision related.  Went to regular eye dr., glucoma specialist, NeuroOphthamologist who sent me for an MRI which was "normal".  Went to ENT/audiologist to evaluate inner ear and hearing...nothing abnormal.  I don't think it's virtigo because it happens when I'm still, and I don't think it's focus because it happens at night while my eyes are closed.  For the past 4 days, the symptoms mysteriously disappeared.  Coincidently 4 days ago I had an MRI in closed machine and took a sedative (valium) because I am severly claustophobic. Now wondering if sedative calmed the condition.  I am 50+, female, computer field, overly tired, sleep study and pulmunary studies normal.  I don't use drugs, or alcohol, nor smoke. Eat healthy, take multivitimans. high BP, diabetic, high Cholesterol.  Listing these things in case another reader has anything similar.  WHAT IS THIS?!  I WORRY IT'S EARLY SYMPTOMS OF MS OR PARKINSONS OR DEGNERATIVE DISORDER FROM WORKING IN A COMPUTER FACILITY OR IN OFFICE WITH TOO MANY FLOURECENT LIGHTS..  IF ANYONE HAS FINALLY RECEIVED A DIAGNOSIS, PLEASE POST A REPLY.  DO DOCTORS READ THESE FORUMS?
To everyone experiencing this. I did too. Big mystery. No doctors able to diagnose. You need chelation therapy. You have been exposed to pesticides or heavy metals (I was dermally exposed to pesticides for 3 weeks) .Check out Chela-Detox supplement to detox. This cured me and now going to all message boards to share the truth. It would have driven me insane otherwise.
Hi, I am 25 and have experienced this. I was talking on the phone and my head just started to buzz. I started to feel sick and felt as though I was going to faint. I couldn't stand and had to sit down immediately. It lasted for around 30 seconds or there about. Any idea what this could be I have never experienced this before and everyone on here seems to be older. Thanks Sarah
I suffer from anxiety and depression and too have the buzzing and lightheadedness all the time. I could be sitting down and it just happens out of no where. It gets frustrating and a little scary.
I'd love to know what us causing it. I'm not sure its the anxiety or not.
I am 26 years old.
I have just starting to wien myself off the cymbalta. I am taking a 60 m every other day. I have the brain buzz and my ear rings at times. I feel like I am a little sick to my stomach about every other day. I have lost my balance when golfing, or moving my head up then down. I have to get off this,the side effect I have all the time is terrable mouth sores. They have been horrible they get so bad I  can't eat. They are horrible, I use a mouth wash for mouth sores. I went to an oral surgen to make sure they were't oral cancer. He said they weren't. He looked over my meds and said yes it was the Cymbalta. He ask me how i could stand living with them. They are always there but they are getting a little better now that I am wiening myself off them.

Thank you
linda
I am being treated for anxiety and depression and have had the same symptoms.  I was sitting at the computer, most recently, when it happened.  Felt like I was going to faint.  It lasted about 10-12 seconds only but was scary.  My first thought was that my blood pressure had dropped, but I was only sitting.  Then I thought it could be coming from drinking coffee but not sure.  Recently, my anxiety medication manufacturer changed so not sure if it is related to change in medication.  I only take it at night before I go to bed and took it last night.  I am 42 years old.  I must say that I have had issues with dizziness and anxiety since I was a teenager, as well as infrequent episodes of depression.  Wander if it is a neurotransmitter issue?  Just want some answers!