Neurology Community
buzzing/vibrating sensation in head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

buzzing/vibrating sensation in head

I am a 54-year-old woman who gets a vibrating/buzzing sensation in my head(and feeling light headed) that only lasts for a few seconds.  This has been going on for years.  It used to happen maybe one a year but has happened several times in the last several months which troubles me.  My doctor had never encountered this and dismissed it as maybe a drop in blood pressure.  Any ideas?  

There are a lot of causes for dizziness such as inner ear diseases (about 50% of all dizziness), Central or Neurologic conditions(5%) , medical (5%) e.g. low blood pressure, psychological (15%) e.g. anxiety and panic disorder  and unknown causes (post traumatic etc)

Dizziness on lying or on change of posture on bed in elderly can be most likely due to inner ear problems. There is a condition called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) commonly causes dizziness in older people. The most common cause is degeneration of the vestibular system of the inner ear. However, in majority of the cases the cause remains unknown.

The symptoms include dizziness or vertigo, lightheadedness, imbalance and nausea. Symptoms are almost always precipitated by a change of position of the head with respect to gravity (in the direction of the affected ear). The vertigo is brief in duration — 5 seconds to 30 seconds.

The condition is usually self limiting. However, you should consult your physician who can make a definitive diagnosis based on your history, physical examination, and vestibular and auditory tests. The Dix-Hallpike maneuver is diagnostic for the condition.  The treatment of choice for this condition is the “Epley repositional maneuver.

You should consult a neurologist who can do an evaluation of your symptoms and order some investigations (CT/MRI, EEG etc) to find out the cause of your condition. Do write in if you need any other information. Regards.

Take care!

Hi Kubie,

I have had the same sx for almost 2 years.  When It first started I would have those quick episodes 50 or more times a day.  I have had all the inner ear tests done and the Caloric testing was severely reduced in both ears.  They preformed the rotating chair test but my results were normal.  My GP has tried the Hallpike maneuver many times and it does not help. They said it was not inner ear related in my case.  My ct mri were normal and my EEG was withing normal limits.  I still don't have any answers as to what is causing this.

I do have other sx that have crept up over the last year that led me to a dx of neuropathy but they have not told me if the  buzzing/vibration is related.  Hope u get some answers soon and if you do please let us know.
HI DR. SMITA.  WRITING IN CAPS FOR EASE OF READING.
MY WHOLE FAMILY SEEMS TO SUFFER FROM THIS DIZZINESS/UNBALANCE. IT SEEMS TO START IN THE FORTIES AND VERY SLOWLY GETS WORSE. EVERYONE KEEPS SAYING INNER EAR. I AM MORE INTERESTED IN SOME SORT OF SENSORIES FROM THE EYE TO BRAIN AREA. THIS IS BECAUSE IT IS WORSE IN THE DARK AND EVEN HAPPENS WITH EYES CLOSED. I AM SURE IT ISN'T AN INNER EAR THING BUT WE ALL DO SEEM TO LOSE SOME HEARING AS WE GROW OLDER. COULD OR NOT BE COINSIDENTAL. I WAS WONDERING IF A SMALL DRUG FOR MS OR PARKENSON WOULD HELP ANY OF THIS.? I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED IN TAKING PART IN ANY ONGOING OR FUTURE STUDIES. THANKS
PHILLIP
***@****
Hi. Depleted levels of serotonin and other neurotransmitters can cause an imbalance within the nervous system leading to misfired neurons in the brain. A "buzzing" or "electrical" sensation that can last for less than a second to over 30 seconds result from the depletion of the seratonin. The cause of the depletion can vary, from menopause to anxiety or depression, to drug use and even reasons that cannot be explained. Often, an episode that appears to last for a longer duration is actually a short, rapid series of smaller episodes. Other than causing concern and discomfort, there is no real danger to one's health.
I likewise have experienced this mystery disorder and my doctors are stumped (or think I'm imagining it). I've read on other forums many others with similar symptoms.  Mine started about a year ago (Nov 2011) with dizzy feeling...slight buzz like vibration in my forehead, temples, lasts 2-4 seconds.  Awful feeling. When   I try to focus, but my eyes can't because of the vibration.  Sometimes it's every day 20-30 episodes or minutes apart, other days fewere occurrences.  Usually every day for weeks, but at least 2x the symptoms disappeared for 1-2 months and thought i was cured! only symptoms returned and vibration was worse.  For about 6 weeks the symptoms feel like tremors, brief seizures, brain twitching, electrical firing in the brain.  I can't focus visually during the episode. whatever is causing the "vibration" in my head causes my vision to do same despite how hard I try to center my vision.  feels like my eyes are twitching side to side, but eye doctor and family say there's no movement in the eyes. Episodes seem to occur when  trying to view print on a computer screen, tv, or a chart with horizontal lines, that's why I thought this was vision related.  Went to regular eye dr., glucoma specialist, NeuroOphthamologist who sent me for an MRI which was "normal".  Went to ENT/audiologist to evaluate inner ear and hearing...nothing abnormal.  I don't think it's virtigo because it happens when I'm still, and I don't think it's focus because it happens at night while my eyes are closed.  For the past 4 days, the symptoms mysteriously disappeared.  Coincidently 4 days ago I had an MRI in closed machine and took a sedative (valium) because I am severly claustophobic. Now wondering if sedative calmed the condition.  I am 50+, female, computer field, overly tired, sleep study and pulmunary studies normal.  I don't use drugs, or alcohol, nor smoke. Eat healthy, take multivitimans. high BP, diabetic, high Cholesterol.  Listing these things in case another reader has anything similar.  WHAT IS THIS?!  I WORRY IT'S EARLY SYMPTOMS OF MS OR PARKINSONS OR DEGNERATIVE DISORDER FROM WORKING IN A COMPUTER FACILITY OR IN OFFICE WITH TOO MANY FLOURECENT LIGHTS..  IF ANYONE HAS FINALLY RECEIVED A DIAGNOSIS, PLEASE POST A REPLY.  DO DOCTORS READ THESE FORUMS?
To everyone experiencing this. I did too. Big mystery. No doctors able to diagnose. You need chelation therapy. You have been exposed to pesticides or heavy metals (I was dermally exposed to pesticides for 3 weeks) .Check out Chela-Detox supplement to detox. This cured me and now going to all message boards to share the truth. It would have driven me insane otherwise.
Hi, I am 25 and have experienced this. I was talking on the phone and my head just started to buzz. I started to feel sick and felt as though I was going to faint. I couldn't stand and had to sit down immediately. It lasted for around 30 seconds or there about. Any idea what this could be I have never experienced this before and everyone on here seems to be older. Thanks Sarah
I suffer from anxiety and depression and too have the buzzing and lightheadedness all the time. I could be sitting down and it just happens out of no where. It gets frustrating and a little scary.
I'd love to know what us causing it. I'm not sure its the anxiety or not.
I am 26 years old.
I have just starting to wien myself off the cymbalta. I am taking a 60 m every other day. I have the brain buzz and my ear rings at times. I feel like I am a little sick to my stomach about every other day. I have lost my balance when golfing, or moving my head up then down. I have to get off this,the side effect I have all the time is terrable mouth sores. They have been horrible they get so bad I  can't eat. They are horrible, I use a mouth wash for mouth sores. I went to an oral surgen to make sure they were't oral cancer. He said they weren't. He looked over my meds and said yes it was the Cymbalta. He ask me how i could stand living with them. They are always there but they are getting a little better now that I am wiening myself off them.

Thank you
linda
I am being treated for anxiety and depression and have had the same symptoms.  I was sitting at the computer, most recently, when it happened.  Felt like I was going to faint.  It lasted about 10-12 seconds only but was scary.  My first thought was that my blood pressure had dropped, but I was only sitting.  Then I thought it could be coming from drinking coffee but not sure.  Recently, my anxiety medication manufacturer changed so not sure if it is related to change in medication.  I only take it at night before I go to bed and took it last night.  I am 42 years old.  I must say that I have had issues with dizziness and anxiety since I was a teenager, as well as infrequent episodes of depression.  Wander if it is a neurotransmitter issue?  Just want some answers!  
Avatar n tn
hi BareBare07....I am a 60 y.o. female and have been having this electricky buzzy dizziness for years. I know electricky is not a word, but that is the only way I know how to describe it. It started in my 40's and I would only have it during high stress times...like during Christmas season when we were so busy with patients during the winter and trying to do all the things to get ready for Christmas...or other high stress events. And I would have it off and on. The older I get the more I have these episodes. I have terrible arthritis and neck problems from having to answer the phone for so many years in the office. Having to be on a phone that you have to hold it between your head and shoulder and still work on other things is horrible on the neck. My doc said that it has caused severe arthritis from my C1 through C6 and C7 in my cervical spine and also bulging disc. So people who use a phone this way...listen up....you will pay for it later in life. That repetitive motion will kill your neck. I am sure that this is a neurological problem. I can hear and feel the buzzy dizzy that I have. Only can hear it in my head. The doctor acts like he thinks I am crazy. Oh well. It does make me mad when a doctor doesn't know what is wrong and then they just assume you are a nutcase that needs to see a psychiatrist. I have read many post to do with this issue and all of them seem well represented. I wish doctors were better listeners as well. Every time I go to a doctor, I constantly get interrupted when I am trying to explain my symptoms. I am sick of it. They want you in and out in 5 minutes or less, or so it seems. Wish I could find an old-timey doctor who really cares about people that would listen to me and dig and try to figure this out. But, so far, no luck. All that I have seen constantly interrupt me. Does anyone else have that problem? It has gotten so much worse in the last 6 or 7 years, its like the doc just wants easy stuff and get you in and out quickly....I think the new healthcare system has a lot to do with it. I do think that high stress times in my life are a big contributing factor. I feel like NOBODY cares.
Avatar n tn
I am experiencing the same thing...buzzing...vision impairment during buzzing and dizziness afterwards.  Been going on for years but increasing recently.  I am 46 female.  Have you gotten any further in diagnosing?  My doctor is stumped/thinks I'm making it up/never heard of it.
Hi, so grateful that I'm not alone in this, I am a 49 yr. old woman. felt desperate today, this constant buzzing and sparking in head is really getting to me, its like having a bee in my head!!!  Thanks so much for sharing, love ye.
I have had similar problems also for years. I'm a 46 year old female with history of chronic sinusitis. I had sinus surgery 4 1/2 years ago to remove 2 polyps and correct my septum. I still suffer with dizziness, ear pain, buzzing in my head, fatigue. I FINALLY FOUND OUT WHAT IS WRONG!! Apparently, my petrous apex is filled with fluid (infection). Be careful looking this up because it will scare you. My Specialist said that mine is not life threatening and requested an MRI to find out what the fluid is. He is treating me with steroids and 3 weeks of amoxicillan 500mg twice daily. I hate this buzzing head feeling so much. I can't hardly sleep now because of it. I hope this helps anyone else. By the way, my sinuses are finally clear! My CT scan is good but that is how this petrous apex issue was found. Good luck all.
I am 56, had MRI last week, Dr said yesterday, nothing showing..........so, now what? I could underline, bold type, highlight in every color, every statement in this forum. The buzzing I just had a few moments ago made me go on line and try to find answers, and I found this page. I am not alone, I see. I have been experiencing this 45 years. The buzzing, dizziness, nausea, falling for no reason, depression and anxiety from it all, and the daily headache/migraines. Everyday. 24/7. Ah, the auras all day that come and go. But, nothing in the MRI? So, what is causing it? I sit at a computer for about 10 hours a day.  Well, when I was from 10 years old to about 35, I did not sit in front of a computer, and had the same exact symptoms as I do now. Same quality or lack of quality of life. As I type this, it feels like someone is peeling the back of my scalp off, my right eye is at half sight, auras and the tingling in the upper right side of my head. Geesh
Well I am 18 and just started getting the buzzing sensation in my head so I'm kind of worried