Neurology Expert Forum
c1 and c2 subluxation questions

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

c1 and c2 subluxation questions

I need to know if there is a non surgical option to my problem.  I have c1 and c2 subluxation with 4mm's of separation and a congenital deformity of the c2 and c3 that are fussed.  I am told that this must be fixed asap. in addition to that I have Degenerative spine and boldging disc c2-c5 that i am told are not all that bad. I have the worst neck pain I have ever had in my life and no medications have helped the pain.  Before I knew of this latest diagnoses I was getting treatment from chiropractor and a pain  management doctor.  I had spinal manipulation and the pain Doc did cortisone injections that has helped the most.  So what I need to know is what are my options.  I cant live with neck pain.  Will surgery help the neck pain or make it worse.  what are my chances of death if i dont have surgery.
Scared to death,
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.      
   I agree that you need to have the problem in your neck addressed ASAP.  C1 (first cervical vertebrae-also called the Atlas) and C2 (second cervical vertebrae-also called the axis) and responsible for supporting the head during head turning, and also many important structures pass throught these bones on thier way to the brain (such as the spinal cord and the vertebral arteries).  The atlas (C1) and the axis (C2) are connected together by ligaments, but if the ligaments become unstable (due to trauma, congenital defect, etc.) these bones can move in a discordant fashion that can risk damage to the spinal cord and the vertebral arteries.  If the spinal cord is damaged at the C1-C2 area, you would be paralysed from the neck down and be unable to breath on your own.  Damage to the vertebral ateries (usually in the form of dissection or occlusion by compression) can give rise to strokes that can be even more devestating than the spinal cord injury.  There are some non-surgical options in children with this disorder (depending on the severity) with Halter traction and immobilization in a Halo.  However, the ligamentous healing is less reliable in adults and even minor trauma may precipitate major spinal cord injury or strokes and thus surgical repair is often needed.
I hope this has been helpful.
Dear Friend,
  Please be advised that I am not responding to you as a physician and that I am not advising you and that what I write is not meant to be construed as medical advice or a replacement from the forum neurologist, et al.
   With that said I would suggest a consideration of two non-surgical approaches:
   1. The DRX9000 and you would want to google that for your locale.
   2. Atlas Orthogonal Chiropractic. You may want to google that for your own research.
   I hope that this has been and will be helpful.

Good Luck!
JCmcc.
i am not a doctor but i have been dealing with spinal cord injuries from my husband for 12 years...he had c6-7 and c3-4 injured on job 12 years ago..he did not want surgery..but had no choice when he lost his bladder and legs..you sound like you are fairly young...after alot of research and with your c1 and c2 compromized..it does seem like a asap matter..if you trust your surgeon i would schedule the surgery right away...at this point time is of the essence....my husbabd just got in a car accident 2 years ago and is facing surgery again..severe spinal stenosis...or he will be in a wheel chair...he does not want the surgery but feels he has no choice..and really he does not......i am not a doctor and do not mean to sound like one ...but i really do my research to know what is going on and what the options are...sometimes doctors do not tell you everything you want to know.....good luck
Hello I had a spinal fusion 5 months ago and wish I would of done it sooner. 1 and 2 are nothing to mess with. I couldn't walk before the operation and two weeks after I was walking up to six miles at a fast pace. No cane or anything. If you are seeing a chrio stop and go to a surgeon. The chrio really messed me up and delayed my recovery by two years. I wish I would of went when my accident happened. Lois
A related discussion, c1 c2 subluxation was started.