Neurology Community
calcium deposit in the brain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

calcium deposit in the brain

My mom was in an accident. As standard practice in the ER they gave her a CatScan. The doctor said she found calcium deposits in an artery. What does that mean?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello.

How is your mom now? Was she hurt in the accident ?

Some amount of calcium deposition in brain is common as the age increases. Otherwise, some inflammation of the blood vessels also leads to calcium deposition on the artery walls.

What is more important is to know if your mother had any symptoms earlier.

Regards
Hi.

Calcium deposits in arteries are usually associated with atherosclerosis. These calcium deposits plus cholesterol and cellular waste products are responsible for plaques which lead to narrowing and hardening of arteries.

You should probably advise your mother on some lifestyle modifications such as eating healthy, low-cholesterol foods, and stopping of smoking (if she smokes). If she has hypertension, it should be adequately managed, and her cholesterol and triglyceride levels regularly monitored.

Have you mother talk to her doctor about this.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your answers.
My mom was badly bruised in the accident but nothing broken and no bleeding thankfully.

She was asked the same - had she had any symptoms, and she mentioned that once in a while she gets really bad headaches ( borderline migrane (migraine)) but associated it with her monthly menstrual cycle.

She is scheduling an appointment with her doctors next week but of course is worried because she was told it could lead to a stroke. True?

She is 45, around 5 feet and maybe a few pounds over what she should weigh. So if you say lifestyle modifications can help I am SOOOOO HAPPY to hear that.

My other question - does this go away or does it need to be surgically removed?

Regards,

Chastity
(passiondivany)

Hi.

Theoretically, it could lead to a stroke, especially if the deposition forms into a plaque or the narrowing of the artery is severe enough.

Lifestyle modification is mandatory. She should eat a proper and balanced diet. Smoking is prohibited. Some exercise would be helpful.

Drug treatment may help lessen the chances of a stroke occurring. However, it is not as effective as drug treatment for carotid artery disease.

Invasive treatment is done by inserting a catheter into the groin and threading it up through the vessels to the site of the plaque. Then, a balloon is deployed and is expanded within the arterial narrowing, thus, pushing the plaque back against the artery walls. Stents may then be implanted to cover the plaque and keep the artery open.

The treatment would depend on the severity of atherosclerosis. You should talk to your mother's physicians to determine the best treatment plan for her.

Good luck.
I AM 23, MALE AND HAVE HAD A CT SCAN AND MRI, BOTH OF WHICH HAVE SHOWN A "SPOT" OR CALCIUM DEPOSIT IN THE LEFT THALUMUS. FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF NOW, I HAVE HAD HORRIBLE CLUSTER HEADACHES AND MIGRAINES THAT USUALLY COME WITH STOMACH ACHES AND DIZZY SPELLS. MOST RECENTLY, FOR 2 OR 3 SECONDS, DURING A HEADACHE, I LOST VISION IN 1 EYE AND THEN THE OTHER. IT ALSO FEELS LIKE NO PAIN MEDICINE WILL TAKE THE HEADACHE AWAY. THESE HEADACHES LAST FOR 1 TO 5 DAYS AT A TIME. SHOULD I BE WORRIED OR IS THERE A CURE?