Neurology Expert Forum
can an EEG cause seizures?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

can an EEG cause seizures?

I had an EEG yesterday, and I still feel exhausted and dizzy from it. Is what I am feeling normal, or do I need to call my dr?  I just do not feel well after having it.

Beth
Tags: seizures, EEG
1 Comment
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There should be no side effects as you describe from the EEG procedure itself, and it should not elicit seizures.  However, if a seizure was provoked for other reasons during your EEG monitoring (such as sleep deprivation), there may be a period after the seizure where you are drowsy, and feel exhausted (this usually does not last more than a few hours).  If you were prescribed new medications, please be aware that fatigue and dizziness are very common side effects in anti-seizure medications.  If your symptoms continue to persist, I would advise contacting your physician, or seeking an immediate medical evaluation.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.