Neurology Expert Forum
can brain function return

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

can brain function return

I have PACNS, and have had quite a few strokes.  Some of them have left me with visual agnosia. This affects me .primarily , because I am unable to drive and return to work. I'm being treated for the vasculitis with prednisone and cytoxan. Is it possible (likely:) that, if the pacns is brought under control, the agnosia will resolve?
Thank you
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

The brain is an amazing functional structure. Different parts of this organ control all the different functions that we perform, motor functions, sensory functions, vision, coordination, thinking processes, language, and all the functions that we perform to interact with the enviroment and that make us humans. The way the brain controls this functions is by the complex circuitry that we are still trying to understand. Unfortunately neurons do not regenerate, and many times their circuits do not "re-connect" or if they do, this could happen in a random fashion, and not in a proper fashion.
The amazing part is that the brain has plasticity, and what this means is that after an injury or something that affects the brain, other areas adjacent or even distal that were not damaged, can start adopting the functions that were lost in the damaged area. So we have seen that some patients after a stroke have a specific disability, and with time and therapy (physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy or other depending on the function affected) they can regain the function, sometimes completely, most of the times partially. This of course depends on the time of the stroke, the size, the location and the amount of tissue affected, and of course also depends on the effectiveness of therapy. Most of the recovery happens within 3-6 months, and they are not recovered rapidly, it takes some time.
Unfortunately, sometimes the damage is such that the function cannot be regained, and some patients are left with some degree of disability or deficit.
I am not sure if your agnosia will resolve, but what I can tell you is that many times patients' deficits improve over time, and the improvement takes months.
Without the ability to obtain a detailed history and to examine you I cannot tell what kind of deficits you have, and I cannot predict how you will improve. I think you should discuss with your neurologist if any of the deficits that you have warrant a specific modality of therapy (physical therapy, speech therapy or something like this)
I hope this information is useful. Good luck.