Neurology Community
can hydrocodone and/or oxycodone effect alzheimers

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My grandpa has been diagnosed with alzheimers.  I don't know if he really has it or not but he's been taking hydrocone and or oxycodone for arthritis i believe?  Can this medication cause alzheimer's to speed up or intensify?
I question the appropriateness of the opiates for "arthritis".

By now he is certainly addicted. Opiates will cause a degradation of situational awareness, making an evaluation of his actual mental status impossible. Even mild quantities of opiates can cause memory loss, for example.

You have asked a good question to which I have no answer. The etiology of Alzheimers is controversial, and not all dementia stems from Alzheimer's. If the dementia is stroke related, for example, and the cause is from small bleeds, an opiate will vasodilate (opening the blood vessels) and increase the probability of an additional bleed.