Neurology Community
can you rule out ms or other neurological problems with an EMG test ......

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

hiya its been a while since i have posted anything my last neurologist only saw me once then sent me for blood tests and an EMG they came back normal and all i got was a letter from the neurologist saying they were fine and he didnt need to see me anymore!!!  .i have now been refered to a different neurologist as my symptoms now are really bad but  he didnt want to know my history and all hes testing me on is the twitches the only test he is going to do is a video where i have something on my head for 8 hours  hmm not sure wot this is going to show ? here is wots happening 2 me it started with just fasciculations now and again. here is wot else is happening to me now a buzzing feeling inside normally my pelvis and legs ,cramps,spasms,shaking inside and sometimes outside when doing things,back pain when standing still or sitting uprite,sharp pains in my arms,acid reflux, bladder urgency, and now just from last week bowel problems not urgency cant seem to go was nearly hospitalised with that.i cant eat or go to the toilet properly this really gets me down .
the medications my own doctor has me on at the minute are ...

MOVICOL,( up to 8 sachets within 6 hours)for my bowels
LANSOPRRAZOLE 30MG ,for the acid reflux
AMITRIPTYLINE 100MG,to help me sleep and depression
CODINE PHOSPHATE 30MG for pain
DIAZIPAM, when i have the spams or cramps

im sure someone can help me here and advise me which tests i can ask to be done to rule out certain problems like ms ?
thank you for reading and would be very grateful of any replies
katie x
?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The most common diagnostic tests used to rule out MS are neuroimaging, analysis of cerebrospinal fluid and study of evoked potentials.The nervous system of MS affected people often responds less actively to stimulation of the optic nerve and other sensory nerves due to demyelination of nerve pathways. These brain responses can be examined using visual and sensory evoked potentials. MRI of the brain and spine shows areas of demyelination (lesions or plaques). A series of MRI may sometimes be necessary. A dye Gadolinium can be administered intravenously as a contrast to highlight active plaques and demonstrate the existence of old lesions not associated with symptoms at the moment of the evaluation. Testing of CSF obtained from a lumbar puncture can provide evidence of chronic inflammation of the central nervous system. EMG may not specifically rule out MS. Please consult the neurologist you have been referred to for the diagnosis and treatment. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!

thank you for replying ...
i maybe feel a bit let down at the min due to the neuro i went to see he didnt want to know about a previous head injury and spine injury
he didnt take my history
and didnt let me tell him all my symptoms
i hope i get some proper tests and a diagnosis soon as i cant live like this it just feels like im just being left to get on with it, my family doctor has also wrote to the neuro as she is not happy with the way i was treated .
sounds like u have similar symptoms to what i had five years ago I never got a proper diagnosis and it now has me unable to walk with a guessed diagnosis of conversion disorder
sorry to here you only have a guessed diagnosis i am pushing for a definate 1,
i have now been reffered to an M.E specialist my doc isnt sure i could have this due to what is going on with me but would like to rule it out