Neurology Expert Forum
carpal tunnel syndrome

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

carpal tunnel syndrome

Hi there, i was diagonised will carpal tunnel syndrom (syndrome) over 3 years ago when i was pregnant.
After i had my child i still had all the same problems so i was given steroid injections into both hands several times but it didnt work,  then i had the relase surgery in my right hand after the problems were still there so i didnt go ahead with surgery in my left hand, i have also had nerve conduction tests which showed i had nerve damage in both hands since then nothing has happened and i feel im fighting  losing battle consultants have fobbed me off and no one seems to know whats wrong with me.
I know have really servere pain in both hands that goes up to my shoulder, i have a loss of mobality someone has typed for me as i can no longer type as my hands have gone in, my arms are permantly numb.
I have started to get depressed because of this and im having lots of troubles a work and its affecting my carear.
Could i possibly have rds?
Would really apppraite any advise im only 24 thankyou
I have bad carpal tunnel in my right hand. Doc wonders why I haven't had surgery on it. One of the nerves registers.....nothing. I guess that means its bad, really bad. Caused by doing vigorous sports when younger and exacerbated by neurological lyme disease 11 years ago.  
I get radiating pains up my fingers or up to my shoulder if I have done something I "shouldn't do".  Any time I feel soreness or pain starting to come on, I grab my bag of frozen peas or corn and ice my wrist for 20 minutes or so. If frozen things arent available, running cold water over the area for a few minutes helps.  I wear a wrist brace alot of the time since my neurologist threatened me....I find the brace isn't enough at times. I have velcro , long strap of it hook on one side, fuzzy on the other. I use it to wrap around the brace, carefully, to add stiffness, rigidity to places I need it more.  

I approach the wrist problem like somebody who has a low back problem. there is goood wrist posture and bad wrist posture. When I use good wrist posture, I have little to no pain.  If I use bad wrist posture, I am screwed. I find ice.

I don't know what your job is. I don't know what state you live in. It sounds like you are "disabled". That label hurts my pride, but it can open doors you never dreamed of. I live in California and there is the (Department of Health services i beliefe) California Deprtment of Vocational Rehabilation.  They specialize in helping disabled people find suitable work. They can provide/pay for assistive technology/equipment that can enable you to return to your job or train you for a new career. They can also pay your new employer, sort of an incentive to hire the disabled, to train you, to hire you. They can pay for new clothing for your new job. They paid for three  years of college for me, books, tuition, pencils, postit notes, notebooks, parking, transportation money, a bookpack because  I had full body neurological disability. They trained me for a new career, which I am good at. Really good at. And The residual disabilities I have, have only required a little more patience on the part of people I worked with and under.  American disability act. learn it. embrace it. They have to keep you if you can do your job with a small amount of assistive technology or some understanding.

Do you know about ergonimics? There are swiveling armrests to rest your wrists/forearms on while you work at a computer. There are split keyboards that allow your wrists to naturally adopt good wrist posture.  There are all sorts of stuff out there that can enable you to remain productive and self-sufficient.  If you still have insurance, keep going to new doctors until you get as good as you are going to get.

do a search for ergomomic computer assistive devices
find out if your state/area has a vocational rehab program.
they do allow you to do some work to survive and pay bills.'
Click here: Ergonomic office furniture, Computer Keyboards & Ergonomic Chairs & Desks link follows::::::::::::::::::::::::
http://www.ergopro.com/index.cfm?obj=prodSummary&sTerm=wrist+pain&submit=Search