Neurology Community
causes of neuropathy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

causes of neuropathy

I'm 28, have been off balance/sidestepping for a few years, with it getting worse.  I finally went to the doctor, was sent here and there, now from an EMG it was shown I have nerve damage in my feet, legs, and also starting in both wrists, the left elbow, and the right one I had surgery on 2 yrs ago already)
I'm not diabetic, and I don't have a specific injury causing this.  I've been sent for lots of blood tests, even some repeats, and brain and neck MRI (back before they knew what was causing the balance problem), the EMG, and now a spinal tap.    If that is normal the next is some blood work, Athena something, which looks for hereditary things.
I also have pretty severe Raynaud's, I've had that for 6 or 7 yrs. (which the doctors love during EMG's, when my hands get cold again 2 seconds after running hot water on them)
Lately I'm starting to have numbness as well, mostly in my left foot, even spreading up above the ankle, and my left hand, and my right arm has been bothering me again, going numb into my last two fingers, which is what it did 2 yrs ago before the ulnar nerve surgery.

I'm just wondering if people have info on what other causes of neuropathy are, other than diabetes and injuries.
The doctors still see it as a mystery, know something is going on, and are wondering if other things are tied in, the raynauds, etc, but aren't getting anywhere.  Also, along the lines of that hereditary testing, what types of disorders they might be looking for then.
thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Raynaud’s phenomenon is known as a cause of numbness and tingling. It may be associated with Peripheral neuropathy. It seems you have not consulted a neurologist. Please consult one with your investigation reports and go for a complete neurological examination  to help in diagnosis. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!
I have gone to a neurologist, he's the one ordering these tests, and the one that found out the unbalance was caused by the neuropathy.  He says the raynaud's could be tied in or might not be.  I have had years longer than other symptoms, and just in my hands.  He isn't sure what the cause of the neuropathy is, though, despite the tests.  That is why I was asking what possible conditions could be causing all of this.