Neurology Expert Forum
cavernoma

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

cavernoma

is there any medical research connecting bleed from thalamic cavernoma to developing hypertension
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I cannot comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

A nonruptured cavernoma can present as intracranial hypertension, that is high blood pressure within the skull, mainly because of the fact that it is causing mass effect on other structures and the skul is a confined space.  However, doing a literature review, I have not come across any clear association with developing hypertension after a cavernous bleed.  

The major complications are seizures and progressive neurological impairment, and the type of "deficit" varies according to the size and location of the cavernoma, and the extent and number of bleeds.  

Hope this information was helpful. Best of luck.