Neurology Community
cerebellar ataxia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

cerebellar ataxia

I have beeen recentkly told that my symptoms of balance oproblems,co-ordination,speech , handwriting and depession are due to cerebellar ataxia. Is there any treatment and what should i be doing? is it progressive? he said its late on set cerebellar ataxia. do you know the best place for this?
Jayhach
Hi.

There are no specific treatment that is 100% effective for symptoms of cerebellar ataxia. Some medications commonly prescribed for this condition which have been reported to have some degree of success include amantadine and buspirone hydrochloride. Acetazolamide is another drug used for ataxia that is episodic. If muscle jerks and sleep disturbances are present, clonazepam might be helpful in controlling these symptoms.

Conditioning and strengthening exercises as part of a physical or occupational therapy regimen are essential and can also assist people in using walking or mobile aids. Speech therapy and communication aids may be helpful in slurred speech.

You should talk to your neurologist about this.

Hope this helps.
Do you know where is the best place for this condition/disordser. I am going to Beirut in a few days and will see a neurologist there at the AUH. but I will seek any advice and possibly tretmeny and mens of management. The dr here said the crebellum on my MRI ,looks a bit on the small side,. he wants to do another MRI and lumber puncture.
Hi.

Unfortunately, I do not know the "best" place for which this condition can be treated. I can only suggest what can probably be done for this condition, as I have posted above.

Is your doctor a neurologist? If he isn't it would be best to consult one. Cerebellar ataxia has been known for a long time already that neurologists anywhere would possibly have sufficient knowledge on how to manage this condition.

Go ahead on the consult with the neurologist to properly evaluate your condition.

Good luck.
Thank you very much for your advice..Will consult a neurologist and report back  as to what. happens
Its been weeks since i last commented here..varioius tests have beeen careried out not necesaryly directly connected with my condition and they are all normal...but the MRi shows an atropy of the cerebellum and the scan shoes my thynus gland still present. could you comment at al on these. Could thymectomy help?
Is the cleveland hospital a specialist centre for this condition.?
thanking you.
Jayhach
My fiance has cerebellar ataxia that he inherited.  I have been doing alot of searching on the internet about this .  I have found noteable pieces of information that may help. I believe it is a  inherited disfunctioning gene that causes iron to be stored in the liver and the brain and other organs.  This is an iron overload that needs to be brought down to normal levels.  It will cause the ataxia symptoms. You need to get your serum ferritin levels checked.  also  I have read that eating ANYTHING with gluten in it will cause the cerebellum to shrink .  and when this happens , ataxia symptoms worsen.  I dont believe that ataxia is a disease , but the symptom of underlying causes that can hopefully be helped by having your stored iron levels checked and eating a gluten free diet.  
I am a 50 year old female with this condition caused by removal of a benign tumor.  I was researching possible treatment and found this website
http://www.centerimt.com/Rec_Programs/Cerebellar_Ataxia_main.asp

Hope it helps,
Gilly111
my son has had many gentic test ran bc of his delayments, seizures, balnacing problems.  We still don't have any answers.  The new thing is that his cerebellum is shrinking and they can't give me an answer as to why it is.  I want to know if anyone out there has a child with the same kind of problems that my child has and maybe some helpful answers.
My Uncle has cerebellar ataxia. It is heriditary in our family. he is of age 52. suddenly he has been suspecting his wife is having a illegal  relation.
this is  not true. He is ok with memory and usuall works. but he behaves like pshyco with his wife. not only his wife he suspects his own sisters saying that they are provoking her to do the wrong. he is creating problem in the house. whom to consult  is it a part of the disease. Please inform
Bharati

I have read a lot of research on cerebellum ataxia.  Most people with this disease have 70% lower than normal   Co-Q-10 levels.  All have improved dramatically when taking the right dosage of Co-Q10.  Usually between 300 and 3,000 mg. daily.   You must take a high enough dose to get levels up to normal for the Co q10 to work.  I recomend that you go and get a blood test done to check your Co-Q-10 levels .    It can turn it around and marked improvements have been studied.   My husband has this disease along with many members of his family.......We are getting the test done and I will let you all know what happens.