Neurology Expert Forum
cerebral peduncle infarct

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

cerebral peduncle infarct

About 10 years ago, I started having very strange symptoms that started one morning when I woke up and felt like my head was pulling to the right and I had severe fatigue and would bump into objects;  a few weeks later I started getting aches in both of my thighs and this  progressed to pain and sometimes numbness in both of my arms and legs.  I also had a strange sensation in the back of my head and had blurry, sometimes double vision.   Then my head felt like it was bobbing for about a year. I went to a neurologist who thought from the initial exam that I had multiple sclerosis.   I had an MRI, and he concluded that I did not have MS, but later I found out that there was an increased signal in the left cerebral peduncle.  Most of these symptoms eventually went away, but over the last
two years they have returned.  It began with a spell of vertigo that lasted about a week (the kind where the room felt like it was spinning.)  My PC doctor ordered another MRI about that time and it showed a tiny old infarct in the left cerebral peduncle.  I was never told  this and only found out when I got the record, so I figured it must not be significant.  During the last few weeks, I have had brief episodes of this same vertigo again.  I have chronic sinusitis and much of the problems seem to be related to it. I also developed bouts of both bowel and urinary incontinence that has since resolved and have had severe GERD.

Could you tell me if  any of these symptoms could be related to the small stroke?
How likely is it that this can happen again?
Should I have further evaluation?
The infarct in your cerebral peduncle should no cause all the symptoms you have described. If this is truely an infarct, I cannot tell without reviewing the films, then you should be evaluated to determine why this occurred, and to determine your future risk of other strokes. With this evaluation they can also re-investigate your vertigo. A neurologist would be the best physician to evaluate this, and perhaps at an academic institution. Good luck.