NEUROLOGY
FORUM
cervical bulges and indentation of spinal cord
by djam, Apr 17, 2002
I recently took an MRI that showed 2mm bulges at C5-C6 and C6-C7 with minimal indentation of the spinal cord at C5-C6. How bad is this and can this get progressively worse? I work in an enviroment that requires a lot of repetitive moderately heavy lifting and reaching above the shoulders (also lifting)...will this aggravate my condition? I already have bulging disc at L4-L5 and L5-S1 with mild degenerative disc disease, and coupled with the cervical bulges I'm afraid my job will make my situation worse. Any advise?
Answer:
by CCF-Neuro-M.D.-JT, Apr 17, 2002
It depends on if the actual spinal cord is being pushed on by the disc or just the sac (called the thecal sac) that the spinal cord is in that is being pushed on. If it's just the sac then it's ok and probably just a mild disc herniation/bulge. But if the spinal cord is being pushed on, then that can lead to serious problems and should be further evaluated by a neurologist or surgeon. Ask your doctor which one it is.

With time, it can get worse especially if you have any kind of trauma to your neck and back or lift something too heavy. If your work requires you to do all that heavy lifting, just take it easy and don't overdo it. Slow down and lift with your legs. If you start to have pain, then stop. Watch for neck pain accompanied by weakness and/or numbness in your arms. IF any of those symptoms arise, consider a followup MRI. GOod luck.
Member Comments (3)
by kjj, May 05, 2002
I have just received the results of my MRI to find that I have 3 disk "bulges" all located in the C-Spine. My doctor told me not to lift anything greater than 25 pounds, and that there is a high risk for further injury. That is all I know for now, but am in search of more info. It has been 4 months since my injury and I am still in quite a bit of pain. I am wondering what happens next, will it ever heal, or is this a life long problem.
by mickyfinn, Jul 04, 2002
Do youself a favour buy the books treat your own back by Robin McKenzie and the back sufferers bible by Sarah Keys and DO the exercises religiously, sounds like youre in the early stages of a bad back, get in early before it becomes too much worse.