NEUROLOGY
FORUM
cervical disc protrusions
by caynetina, Jan 29, 2003
Hi I'm 33 yrs& have 2 disc protrusions seen onMRI at C5-6&C6-7 both broad based and on the left compressing the corresponding nerves & creating a "severely narrowed neuroforamina".  I have osteophytes that have formed around the area too, and the discs themselves are quite degenerative. I was in an MVA 5 years ago when the neck pain started immediately and over the years progressed into the L arm and thumb,index&middle fingers. I have numbness on&off,spasms,muscle twitching and stiff neck and occasionally both arms are uncoordinated and weak & very bad blade pain.  Reflexes are intact. I've tried for over a year everything conservative & I haven't been working either& nothing has helped it. Most recently another MRI scan showed the discs have not reaborbed at all.  I have about a week of manageable pain and then another of severe pain with numbness etc...My questions are is the twitching in my left arm and sometimes my left thigh related to my neck problem?If my nerves are so compressed why don't I have non-stop the extreme pain and numbness, weakness that I experience about every 3 or 4 days? Wouldn't it be constant?If I leave this for a long time can this cause permanent pain & numbness?  I read about cow bone being used instead of cadaver bone or my own bone, do you know if this is just as successful in a fusion?  I need help deciding whether or not to just take the step towards surgery because it's been so long would I still notice improvement if I go for surgery after this long?  If a disc hasn't reabsorbed in over a year will it ever? Thanks for your time and expertis
Answer:
by CCF-Neuro-M.D.-JT, Jan 30, 2003
1.For the muscles in the arm - yes. Fasciculations or muscle twitching can be caused by a pinched nerve due to irritation of the nerve fiber. But it's unlikely to be the cause of the leg twitching.
2.With overexertion, certain movements, or changes in position, you may be further compromising an already narrowed canal or space where the nerve travels through, thus causing intermittent pain.
3.Yes, permanent damage is a possibility depending on how severe the foraminal narrowing is and how long you've had it.
4.You'll have to talk to the surgeons about their own particular experiences with different types of bone grafts. Here at the clinic we use cadaver or the patient's own bone.
5.Usually if conservative management for a 6-8 week period has not helped, the foraminal narrowing is severe, and the patient is symptomatic (weakness is the biggest symptom we look for) then we recommend surgery as it's unlikely that it will get better on its own (again,this is if the patient has significant weakness and we've taken all the variable into account). And yes, it's possible that your symptoms will not completely go away after the surgery.  The only thing we can tell patients is that surgery would theoretically prevent further damage. Good luck.