Six weeks ago i had a cervical fusion of C4-C6. Prior to surgery there were no signs of neck pain but i had a horrible pain in the shoulder and upper arm. When the doctor did a mri he discovered there was major compression on the spinal cord so he went in immediatly and fused C4-C6. After coming out of surgery the pain was even worse in the shoulder and upper arm. The doctor assumed that it was inflamation of the nerve and eventually it would go away. He started me on steroids. The second day of taking the medication my arm was unable to lift due to major weekness and pain. the pain has settled but through physical theropy the weekness still has not gotten any better. I had an EMG taken and it showed radiopathy of the C5 root. What does this mean? I thought that was the purpose of the surgery. Will this get better or will I need another surgery to the spinal cord? Please help me in some direction. Not being able to have full use of your arm is frustrating and makes you wonder how before surgery I had no weekness and one week later I was unable to function my left arm properly.
So what kind of treatment would need to be done to cure this problem or is it something that just needs to heal over time. Would physical theropy help at all? Or would you need another surgery to fix the pressure on the nerve root that is getting pressed on?
The real question may be the fact the theropy is actually helping with being able to raise my arm. The strength is not yet back but as I begin to get the extension of my arm to raise the pain starts back again in the shoulder and arm. Not as bad as it used to be but the question is if the strength comes back without surgery but there still is pain would it be to my best interest not to have a revision surgery. I would prefer not to be opened up again if not needed. This is really one of those situations that you dont know which way is the best way to go. I know the doctor will say if its getting better it just needs time and patience. Do you really feel that this is the right or wrong answer? The surgeon is very stubborn and Im not wanting to **** him off but in the same way I would truly like answers. As a doctor what would you do if you had a patient in this situation? Would revision surgery be the answer or would you wait a couple more weeks to see how the patient was doing?
I had a fusion at 4-5-6 But never out of PAIN.. My new test show herniiation at level 5. If they did a discectomy HOW does it re herniate? Now I have some sort of inflammitory diesese. And a blood clot in my main vein in my brain.. They say I need a new surgery. But no one will take me off my blood thiners. I did not fuse properly.
WHAT R MY OPTIONS
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.