Neurology Expert Forum
cervical radiculopathy?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

cervical radiculopathy?

i`m a 24 year old male and lately ive noticed when i turn and extend my head to the left and leave it in that position for about 10 seconds a pins and needles sensation appears in my left hand and remains there until I unturn my neck, and to a lesser extent i get it in my right hand when i turn and hold my head
to the right. another thing ive noticed is when i`m slouching and quickly bend my head forward i get an electric jolt in my left arm below my elbow and occasionally my left foot aswell, I dont get it when I bend my head whilst standing or sitting with a straight back, only when im slouching. I also have on and off dizziness which feels like a pushing and pulling sensation in my back which makes me feel a bit unsteady. the doc was sure I had cervical radiculopathy and sent me for a cervical CT without contrast, and an xray. but the CT came back negative so ive been reffered to a neurologist but i have to wait until december to see him.

but the x-ray did show that I had "a reversal of the cervical lordosis between C2 and C5 and exaggeration of the lower cervical lordosis, aswell as mild mid cervical spinal curvature to the left". my cervical spine looks like its shaped almost like an S on the x-ray. could any of that be responsible for atleast the electric jolt feeling i get in my left arm because i read that having an unnatural lordosis can stretch the spinal cord, is that correct? or is it possible i could indeed have cervical radiculopathy but it just didnt show up on the CT?

thnx for any info
There may not be structural cervical disease but there may be a functional entrapment of the nerve root in particular positions.
An MRI is a fixed scan and can miss this - flexion/extension plain films of the neck may provide more info.
There is probably a lot of muscle spasm in your neck - as the neck is inexplcibaly tied to the vestibular balance system, this commonly causes dizziness 'cervicogenic dizziness', this also causes loss of the normal neck posture and curvature 'lordosis'
You may need measures to reduce neck spasticity - neck physical therapy, muscle relaxants, massage, and avoid those positions that cause your symptoms.

Good luck
just have to add that i also get an electric jolt feeling in my hands whenever i bump the back of my hand on something. i`m not sure if thats normal or not.
sorry for making yet another post but its worth pointing out that the pins and needles sensation when i turn my head to the side is only really in my thumb and index finger, not my entire hand. thnx
thnx very much for the info.
I would recommned you to see a Chiropractor. I have seen many good results in patients with the same condition you are describing. Chiropractic is a natural way to correct this type of conditions, not just to mask the symptoms and also it's a good way to keep your body healthy. If you haven't heard about Chirorpactic before, I invite you to check it out. If you have any question feel free to ask me.
To drinchiropractic, youre a chiropractor? cause i`m thinking about going to a chiro but im not sure if i should wait until i see the neurologist first.

how would a chiro go about correcting the symptoms like ive got? and do they need to see my x-rays and scans first?

thanks for any info.