Neurology Community
cervical spinal fusion with broken screws

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have 2 broken screws  c5-6 level, the lower screws at 6-7
are intact. I was wondering if the broken screws will compromise
the entire plate and cause further damage. It has been one
month since the injury and I do have pain in neck and shoulder.
Since I am in the Work Comp nightmare I have yet to see a
neurologist or neuro surgeon. Thank you.      

Avatar n tn
RE: Broken screws
Hey Cocoaok,
Sorry to here of your troubles but at least you are covered by workers comp. I've had two surgeries about eight years apart for cervical stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal) the last one was anterior with three disks removed and a plate installed. I had a fall a year after surgery and broke 3 screws. This has caused some problems but so far I've had no response from the neurosurgeon other than let's wait and see. I don't plan on having another surgery anytime soon but I do want another opinion. What I would recommend to you is to GET A LAWYER!!! and also get at least two opinions on your neck. Whether or not they do anything now is based on whether the plate is stable or not(among other things) but even if it is you may have problems in the future so you need to have a lawyer to make sure you get the medical coverage and the compensation you need. Good luck!
Pete