Neurology Expert Forum
cervical spondylosis C5-C6

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

cervical spondylosis C5-C6

I am a 28 years old Army officer , in my medicals for army aviation i was detected cervical spondylosis C5-C6 , but i dont have any symptoms whatsoever, also Doctor told me that clinically i am fit as there is no restriction in neck movement. I am worried as i have been made Unfit for flying ?
Is it something abnormal for my age? are there any preventive measures , yoga excersises, etc \?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Spondylosis basically means a type of non-inflammatory degenerative arthritis. To put it more simply, it is the more "run of the mill" arthritis seen with for example aging as opposed to inflammatory arthritis like rheumatoid arthritis. While arthritis is most common in people as they age, it can start at a very early age such as in yourself. It is probably more common than is known, except that most young people generally do not have testing of the neck area, so that these things remain undetected. It is common in athletes or others who are involved in strenuous activities. If is asymptomatic (not causing symptoms) it is of no consequences what-so-ever, except for you to keep in mind to minimize neck trauma or other excessive jolts to the neck (which should be done anyway, regardless of the presence of arthritis in the neck), and in the future if you develop symptoms such as shooting pain in your neck or arm, to keep in mind one potential cause could be the arthritis in your spine.

To my knowledge, yoga does not reverse arthritis nor does it necessarily prevent it, however, in general, controlled stretching exercises help minimize injury during physical activity, and yoga if done properly may help with overall well being and general health, and keeps muscles toned and joints strong.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Advanced spondylitic and discogenic was started.