cervical stenosis C2
I had an MRI which revealed severe cervical stenosis with disc bulge at C2.  I am 78 years old and active. I have a history of hypertension and diabetes controlled with medication. I was told that I need surgery because if I were to be hit from behind or fall and hit my head, I could become paralyzed or risk death. Due to my age, I am very concerned that I am risking death anyway with the surgery. I only have neck pain at this point and no neurological symptoms. My question is whether conservative treatment would help or whether this is so lifethreatening that the benfit of surgery outweighs the risk of just living with it at my age.
Hello dear,
Treatment options are geared toward pain relief.  Pain medications such as NSAIDs, corticosteroids orally or injected, anti-spasm drugs, anti-convulsants to help with the burning pain, and in some cases, narcotic pain relievers are given.
You should go in for Physical therapy such as hydrotherapy, massage, and hot/cold therapy.
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) is a treatment in which a painless electrical current is sent to specific nerves through electrode patches that are placed on the skin. The mild electrical current generates heat that serves to relieve stiffness, improve mobility, and relieve pain
Treatment methods should be focused on pain relief and maintaining quality of life.Although slow, usually these conservative treatments relieve pain.Surgery should be the last option as the results are not consistent and is not always successful. Back exercises and yoga will help  you.

Refer http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article180.html
Best