cervicl disc protrusion
Dear sir / Madam

My father was experiencing a neck pain and numbness in his right arm,wrist and fingers without any pain in the area.the MRI report shows :
1) Mild Posterocentral disc protrusion at C3/4 and C4/5 Levels indenting the thecal sac.

2) Broad based posterior disc bulge at C5 /6 level which along wih bordering osteophytes and hypertrophy is causing canal narrowing indenting the thecal sac and bilateral exiting nerve roots.

To the doctor we have consulted is recommended immediate surgery.please advice is the surgery necessary or do we have alternate treatment?is it dangerous?
you need to get second and third opinions there are therapies they messed me up through the surgery
Hi, Thank you for your question. I think your symptoms may be due to nerve irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because of cervical disc bulge. This pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the back of head & shoulders (as electric sensation)- LHERMITTES SIGN, arms or chest, rather than just the neck. Other symptoms may include vertigo, nausea (dizziness) and stiffness. It will be best that you consult a neurologist who would like to prescribe Pain killers, steroid and muscle relaxants. Other treatments could be cervical orthosis such as a soft cervical collar or stiffer neck brace to restrict neck movement till you get complete recovery. In addition, cervical traction may also be suggested by the doctor, if condition is severe. Hope this helps.
thanks pebbles and thanks dr. anurag