Neurology Community
cf leak
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

cf leak

A month ago I was diagnosed with a pituary tumor.  However, when I was recovering in ICU the neurosurgeon came to me and told me that I was misdiagnosed.  I did not have a tumor but defective brain tissue.  Somehow this was not revealed by the CT or MRI scan. The surgeon correct the brain tissue and inputted a lumbar drain.  After the surgery, I have had several terrible headaches, while recovering at home.  I thought I had caught a cold and went to my primary physician.  I was had a nasal drip from my right nostril and my right ear was clogged or had a full feeling with slight pain.  I was given azithromycin which did not clear up the problem.  I returned to the doctor stating how my nose was still dripping and at night my pillow would be quite damp/moist from the drainage.  Finally, they contacted the neurosurgeon for assistance and I was told to go straight to the emergency room.  They test the fluid that was leaking from my nose and told me it was cf fluid.  I was admitted to the hospital and the doctor stated that I need a shunt inserted immediately. I was told would redirect the fluid into my stomach area.  It has now been five days since the surgery and I am still leaking from my nose, and I can feel the fluid down the back of my thoat.   It has slowed up a little.  The surgeon has me signed up for a follow up visit with in two weeks.  At this time he said if I am still leaking he will need to "pack my nose".  Is there any other procedure other than going back through my nasal cavaity?