Neurology Community
cf leak

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

cf leak

A month ago I was diagnosed with a pituary tumor.  However, when I was recovering in ICU the neurosurgeon came to me and told me that I was misdiagnosed.  I did not have a tumor but defective brain tissue.  Somehow this was not revealed by the CT or MRI scan. The surgeon correct the brain tissue and inputted a lumbar drain.  After the surgery, I have had several terrible headaches, while recovering at home.  I thought I had caught a cold and went to my primary physician.  I was had a nasal drip from my right nostril and my right ear was clogged or had a full feeling with slight pain.  I was given azithromycin which did not clear up the problem.  I returned to the doctor stating how my nose was still dripping and at night my pillow would be quite damp/moist from the drainage.  Finally, they contacted the neurosurgeon for assistance and I was told to go straight to the emergency room.  They test the fluid that was leaking from my nose and told me it was cf fluid.  I was admitted to the hospital and the doctor stated that I need a shunt inserted immediately. I was told would redirect the fluid into my stomach area.  It has now been five days since the surgery and I am still leaking from my nose, and I can feel the fluid down the back of my thoat.   It has slowed up a little.  The surgeon has me signed up for a follow up visit with in two weeks.  At this time he said if I am still leaking he will need to "pack my nose".  Is there any other procedure other than going back through my nasal cavaity?
Frontal anterior fossa craniotomy is an alternative method for leak correction (Intracranial approach). There are few other approaches (Extra-Cranial repair) like use of an anterior osteoplastic flap through a bicoronal or eyebrow incision, external ethmoidectomy, transethmoidal sphenoidotomy, transseptal sphenoidotomy, and the transantral approach. Endoscopic techniques are also available.