Neurology Expert Forum
chance of having Huntingtons disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

chance of having Huntingtons disease

I just recently had got tested for Huntington's disease.  I'm waiting for blood work to come back now.  What are the chances of me actually having this disease if there is to my knowledge no family history of it?  I've read a few things about it, wouldn't a parent know they have it? How long does it take for test results to come back?
The chances of having Huntingtons Disease are extremely low if there is no family history of the disease, this would require a spontaneous mutation in your own DNA which probably occurrs in one in millions of cases, exact figures are not availavble since the incidence is so rare.
The only possible way a parent would not know about having the disease would be if the parent died in young adulthood from another cause before the disease had manifest itself but after children had been concieved.
The speed of getting a result back will depend on the individual laboratory, for this type of test 4-6 weeks would not be unusual.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Are Random Muscle Spasms throughout the body normal? was started.