Neurology Expert Forum
change in headache pattern

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

change in headache pattern

My husband has had migraine HA since his early thirties they are always on the left side and can be very severe He has migraines almost daily and has had to go to the ER on some occasions when he can't keep his meds down.  He recently had a very sever migraine about one week ago and now his HA have changed sides and feel different he has been getting sharp pains that come and go quickly and then he feels like he has a dull ache on the right side.  Should we be concerned.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

It is important to understand that if there is a change in quality of a headache in a patient with a prior history of headache or new neurological findings, they should be evaluated. Many of times, the evaluations are negative; however, many intracranial processes/lesions do present with headache. Imaging of the brain and sometimes then neck may be indicated depending on the exact symptoms, physical examination, and other factors. I do suggest that your husband follow up with his primary care physician.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.