chiari malformation type 1 (7mm)
I 34 just diagnosed about a month ago.  I went to my family Dr. I starting to have vision problems. I had no peripheral vision in my left eye and very blurry vision on right side. This happen two days in a row week before thanksgiving. Ali remember this happening over the last about six years but very sporadically. Like if I hadn't eaten that day I would have thought that's what is was. Over the last two years has happen more regularly.  With in the last year it has been about 2-3 times a month. Then the twice a day incident.  I have no major health issues.  Never a stitch or broke a bone. As I told my Dr I don't even have headaches when this happens. He thought I just may be migraines. Had the MRI just to be sure of nothing else like strokes,bleeds, or masses.  That when I was diagnosed with CM1.   I go see first nerosurgon this Friday.  I have been noticing my shorterm memory is becomming terrible. Series things. Like forgetting thing as quick as I walk out of the room or trying to change the channel on the Tv an forgetting what I was gonna go. Its like everything goes blank. I do remember about sec or so after. Like I see the Tv remote I. My hand and I'm like what the heck do ihave this for then omg I was gonna change the channel an forgot. Also with in the last week I have been experienceing this feeling like all of a suddon I'm shaking but I'm not really moving. Could this all be related to the chiari malformation type 1. Which is 7mm an I don't really even know that means. What I could read of the written report of the MRI there is no syrinx. Also I have no medical problem with my eye sight 20/20 vision. I take no medications.  I am very worried about this memory thing going on. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi...This can be a frustrating journey...as u may come in contact with Drs that do not have enuff experience with chiari to answer ur questions.

7mm Chiari I means that ur cerebral tonsils r herniated 7mm below the Foreman magnum...the opening at the base of the skull where the brain stem is attached.

What u need to know, is do u have a CSF obstruction, so a CINE MRI is the next test u should have.

Make sure u see a few NS's and that they r true Chiari specialists....
also rule out all related conditions...and the no syrinx, is only telling u for the area that u had MRI'd..a syrinx can form in the thoracic and lumbar spine as well as the cervical spine...so, do check those areas for a syrinx, and while doing the lumbar rule out tethered cord....then rule out sleep apnea, ICP, PTC, Ehlers_Danlos.....disk issues....

DO join us in the Chiari forum-
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?controller=forums&action=show&id=257&camp=msc

For more info and support : )

"selma"