Neurology Expert Forum
chiropractic caused strokes

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

chiropractic caused strokes

I AM A 40 YEAR OLD CHIROPRACTIC STROKE VICTIM & SURVIVOR.  I HAVE RECOVERED ABOUT 75% DUE TO THERAPY BUT DUE TO BRAIN SURGERY AND REMOVAL OF THE CEREBELLUM I WILL HAVE LASTING EFFECTS.  MY QUESTION IS WHAT EXACTLY DOES THE CEREBELLUM DO AND IS MY DIZZYNESS, LEFT SIDE TREMORS AND SHORT TERM MEMORY DUE TO THE CEREBELLUM?  I AM TAKING KLONOPIN (.5 MG) WHICH CAUSES DROWSINESS AND WEAKNESS, PORZAC (20 MG) FOR DEPRESSION AND AN ASPIRIN A DAY.  ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME WOULD BE APPRECIATED.  MY BLOOD PRESSURE REMAINS LOW, I DO NOT SMOKE OR DRINK OR TAKE BIRTH CONTROL PILLS, I'M 5'3" AND WEIGHED 126 LBS., SO BECAUSE OF THIS HISTORY THE ONLY EXPLAINATION WAS DUE TO THE NECK MANIPULATION (VERTEBRAL ARTERY DISSECTION).
  I AM ALSO STRUGGLING WITH MY WEIGHT (NOW AT 139).  IS THIS DUE TO THE KLONOPIN AND WEAKNESS?
=
The cerebellum is involved in coordination of movement. Damage to the cerebellum produces a particular type of incoordination called ataxia. That may affect either your limbs or your balance and walking, or both, depending on what part(s) of the cerebellum are damaged.
It sounds like you have a tremor as a result of damage to the left hemisphere of the cerebellum and its connections to the rest of the brain. This usually is better at rest and is worse when you try to do something with your left hand. I suspect the Klonopin was given to you for this.
The cerebellum is not known to participate in memory per se. There are many who believe the cerebellum participates in motor learning (for example, finger movements while playing the piano), but not for day to day short term memory.
There are many contributors to short term memory loss. These include depression and sometimes medications such as Klonopin. Klonopin may or may not contribute to your dizziness (though that may be a leftover effect of the vertebral dissection stroke).
I don't know about the weight gain.
I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Vertebral artery dissection can indeed produce symptoms of ataxia from cerebellar damage. Many people with strokes can improve somewhat, though as you know, there may be a limit to how much improvement you might get. I wish you luck. CCF MD mdf.