Neurology Expert Forum
chronic foot pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

chronic foot pain

I am experiencing chronic foot pain. In late September 2002, I started to experience pain on the outside of my left heel as I took steps. Treatment with ice and OTC drugs had no effect. In early October, my doctor referred me to a Podiatrist after the pain spread to me arch. Diagnosing it as plantar fasciitis, he injected the arch with an anti-inflammatory twice, with no effect. By late November, he recommended surgery to release the ligament.

A month and a half after the surgery, my foot pain returned. The podiatrist tried injections for inflammation as well as injections at the surgical site to break up scar tissue. I've had a nerve conduction study. I've had an MRI. I've tried OTC arch supports. Nothing works and the podiatric surgeon has given up. I not only have the same plantar fasciitis pain but now I cannot support my weight on the heel of my left foot, on the site of the surgical trauma.

Any suggestions
You should have a formal evaluation with a neurologist who can assess the muscle and nerve function in your leg. Possible causes for your pain do include musculoskeletal problems (which you have been evaluated for), but also include peripheral nerve disorders. You have stated that you had a nerve conduction test, but did not provide the result (I assume it was normal). Depending on how the test was performed, very focal nerve problems can be missed. Also, this may represent a small fiber neuropathy, which would not show up on standard nerve conductions.

Therefore, the evaluation by a neurologist would attempt to discern if a particular neurologic problem is present. Good luck.
I had severe bilateral plantar fasciitis.Nothing helped.I couldn't walk ,not just in the mornings when getting out of bed.I found that taking FOSAMAX(Alendronate)70mg once a week for 4 weeks worked wonders! You may have to try it for 2 or 3 months.It must be taken in the morning on an empty stomach with a full glass of water and you must remain upright for 1/2 hr afterwards  and only eat after 1/2 hr.Fosamax is a bisphosphonate-a drug used in the treatment of osteoporosis .I am in the medical profession,so I knew and tried all the other treatments there are except for surgery which I wasn't prepared to undergo.By the way ,let your doctor check you for reactive arthritis or spondyloarthropathy which can sometimes cause plantar fasciitis.