chronic microvascular disease
I am 54 years old, previously healthy.  I had an MRI to rule out MS, as I have had extreme fatigue, exercise intolerance and pain for the last few months, to the point I have been unable to work. The MRI found "numerous punctate T2/FLAIR hyperintensities in the suncortical regions of both cerebral hemispheres. The inpression was that they are "most likely on the basis of chronic microvascular disease", and unlikely MS, as there are no features of demyelination. My GP didn't seem concerned and hasn't suggested any followup. Could microvascular disease be responsible for any of my symptoms, and is it a normal aging thing or an actual disease process that should be watched? Thankyou for your advise
my apologies- that should read subcortical, not suncortical (I must be looking forward to spring!)
Thank you for your question. In chronic microvesicular ischemic disease of brain, pathology is associated with the brain white matter, either exclusively or in combination with grey matter changes. It occurs due to metabolism errors, exogenous toxins released by virus, autoimmune disease, leukodystrophy, demyelination, and radiation effects. Spasticity, muscle weakness, paralysis, hyper-reflexia and movement disorder may be the clinical features associated with white matter disease that need to be evaluated thoroughly. However, it is sad to say that there is no permanent cure but conservative treatment & physiotherapy exercises that would help you to regain your normal function and stopping the further progression of the disease. Please consult a neurologist in this regards. Hope this helps.