chronic shoulder, shoulder blade, arm pain and weakness
My problem starts with tight, achey neck.  Tightness, acheness moves deep into shoulder and shouler blade areas then into the arm and hand.  Sometimes limits range of motion.  I treat with heat, cold and massage ~ works sometimes.  Problem goes away for 4-6 weeks then returns worse than before. I've been tested for neurve damage but found none.  Any thoughts on what this is, what to look for, how to treat?
Hi, Thank you for your question. I think your symptoms may be due to nerve irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because of cervical disc bulge. This pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the back of head & shoulders (as it blades), arms or chest, rather than just the neck. Other symptoms may include vertigo, nausea (dizziness) and stiffness. It will be best that you consult a neurologist who would like to prescribe Pain killers, steroid and muscle relaxants. Other treatments could be cervical orthosis such as a soft cervical collar or stiffer neck brace to restrict neck movement till you get complete recovery. In addition, cervical traction may also be suggested by the doctor, if condition is severe. Hope this helps.